Vietnam and Laos share a border of more than 2,300 km which touches 10 provinces of Vietnam and 10 provinces of Laos. The two countries’ localities have signed several cooperative agreements and enhanced neighborliness and friendship.
Practical results of friendship cooperation
Vietnamese and Laos localities have boosted exchanges and comprehensive cooperation in trade, investment, tourism, culture, science, technology, education, health care, national defense, and security. Since Quang Tri province established friendship with Savanakhet and Salavan province in Laos, local people’s lives have improved. Nguyen Viet Sinh lives in Lao Bao town, Quang Tri province: “The bilateral friendship has boosted the economic growth of the localities. Political stability and national defense along the border have been maintained. Border provinces have supported each other and tightened friendship. As a result, border people have had more jobs and their lives have improved.”
Dien Bien has the second longest border with Laos. Thanks to regular exchanges and close coordination with Luangprabang and Phongsaly province, Dien Bien is leading other localities in building and rehabilitating border markers with Laos. Le Thanh Do, Vice Chairman of the Dien Bien provincial People’s Committee, said: “The two sides have regularly discussed ways to tackle difficulties and mechanisms to boost cooperation. Despite difficult terrain, a scattered population of mostly ethnic minority people, and poor infrastructure, people in border areas have completed the border marker plantation and rehabilitation.”
Vietnam, Laos enhance cooperation
Vietnam aims to become a modern industrialized country by 2020. Laos is tapping its potential, mobilizing all economic sectors toward its market economy mechanism, and expanding international cooperation to escape its less-developed status and create the necessary conditions to grow toward socialism. On their development paths, the two countries are boosting their special relationship and cooperation between localities.
- Vietnamese, Lao provinces enhance cooperation
- Lao locality explores cooperation opportunity in Vinh Long
- Vietnamese, Lao localities boost multifaceted links
- Vietnamese border localities strengthen ties with China’s Yunnan province
- Vietnamese, Lao localities coordinate in border protection
- Vietnamese, Lao ministries urged to boost telecom ad IT links
- Vietnamese, Lao procuracies bolster cooperation in drug crime combat
- Vietnamese, Lao localities bolster communications links
- Vietnamese, Lao localities step up cooperation