Vietnamese billiards player Tran Quyet Chien
(Photo: Kha Hoa/Thanh Nien)
During the first round of matches in Group F, Chien lost out to Daniel Sanchez of Spain, world number 16, with a score of 27/40.
In the second match of the group, the Vietnamese billiards player was held by Birol Uymaz of Turkey, world number 28, to a draw.
In the final tie of Group F, Chien recorded a victory over Jeremy Bury of France, world number 10, while Daniel Sanchez suffered a defeat at the hands of Uymaz.
After three matches played, Chien and Uymaz were both on the same number of points following one win, one draw, and one loss each. However, due to goal differentials the Vietnamese player suffered elimination from the tournament. The bad result will ultimately affect Chien’s world ranking.
A number of other Vietnamese players were also knocked out of the competition, including Nguyen Tran Thanh Tu, Nguyen Quoc Nguyen, world number 11, Ma Minh Cam, world number 23, Duong Anh Vu, world number 31, and Tran Duc Minh.
Elsewhere, Ngo Dinh Nai and Nguyen Duc Anh Chien advanced to the quarter final stage.
Nai will face Dick Jaspers of the Netherlands, world number one, at 15:00 today while Anh Chien will take on Semih Sayginer of Turkey, world number four, at 13:00.
- VN sends three to billiards World Cup
- Liem bows out of Chess World Cup 2013 after 4 rounds
- Vietnam sends three to billiards World Cup
- World Cup final: Germany defeats Argentina in extra time
- World Cup team of the tournament
- World Cup police chief braced for Obama visit
- Australia coach Verbeek to quit after World Cup
- Beckham blow no World Cup blow-out for England
- South Africa mourns exit of last African team from World Cup
- Ten memorable moments at the World Cup