HE is the smiley superstar of the confectionery world, who caused hamaggedon this week when he went veggie.
The Sun revealed that M&S had changed the 27-year-old recipe for Percy Pig sweets, so they no longer contained gelatine.
It sparked a backlash with fans complaining on social media.
One blasted the new Percys as tasting like a “mouthful of washing up liquid”. Another declared: “The most sacred confectionery item on the planet is over.”
M&S will now ask 100 mega fans to vote on whether to bring back the gelatine option.
Store bosses would be off their trotters not to keep Percy fans happy.
The Percy Pig brand is worth an estimated £20million, with 300million sweets sold a year in 100 countries.
Lined up ear-to-ear, all the Percys sold in one year would go from the UK to Hawaii.
So how did the cheery-faced gummy pig, who has 200,000 Facebook friends, become one of our best-loved treats?
M&S product developer Lucy Clark says: “A lot of people think he’s an overnight success but it’s taken years to evolve.”
Percy started in 1992 as a black and white liquorice PANDA, created by M&S buyer Bill Davies.
After a year, the sweet’s classic blend of raspberry, blackcurrant, elderberry, grape, and mandarin, and texture was developed. And Percy was now a pig.
Bill, 59, from Wing, Bucks, says: “At the time we didn’t realise how big Percy was going to be. It’s amazing, it’s captured the public’s imagination.
“I’d take bags of the sweets home to my kids to get their opinions, which they really enjoyed.”
Soon the nation was pigging out on Percys. In October 2007 the billionth sweet was sold.
By 2010, Percy was bringing home the bacon for M&S to the tune of £10million a year.
The next year tennis ace Andy Murray admitted a weakness for the sweets, and received 30 bags from M&S.
In July 2013, Percy celebrated turning 21, and the birth of Prince George, by turning up at London’s St Mary’s Hospital to hand sweets to TV reporters.
Since then M&S has launched Percy’s Pals, Penny Pig, Percy Piglets and Globetrotting Percy.
MOST READ IN MONEY
YOU’RE QUIDDING ME
Poundland is no longer a poundshop as it ditches £1 price limit
IT’S THE BOMB
B&M is selling a YARD of Jägermeister including 10 mini bottles for £10
B&M launches massive Black Friday deals one week early
DEAL WITH IT
Best early Black Friday deals with one week to go as retailers cut prices
Mum nabs £108 worth of kids’ clothes for just £8 thanks to Nectar trick
DITCH AND SWITCH
Martin Lewis gives urgent warning to TSB customers affected by meltdown
There is also lots of Percy merch, including cupcakes, cuddly toys and piggy banks. With or without gelatine, Percy seems destined to keep hogging the headlines.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team? Email us at [email protected]
- Marks and Spencer is giving FREE Percy Pigs to Sparks card members
- Marks & Spencer job losses: M&S confirms plans to axe up to 7,000 shop floor workers
- Marks & Spencer will axe 7,000 jobs across UK stores in the next three months after sales were hit by coronavirus crisis
- Marks and Spencer ‘could axe 6,800 shop floor roles – one in 11 of its workforce’ as coronavirus accelerates retailer’s plans for major restructure
- Co-operative Bank will axe 350 jobs in middle management and head office and will close 18 branches as Covid jobs bloodbath continues
- Yes Bank repays Rs 35,000 crore to RBI, balance to be paid within deadline, says Chairman
- Yes Bank offloads 8.3% stake in CG Power, US-based fund sells 1.77 lakh shares in Som Distilleries
- Asda’s Christmas food includes spicy pigs in blankets and reindeer crumpets
- Tesco reveals its Christmas treats and it includes giant pigs in blankets
- Victoria Beckham announces she will donate 20% of all sales from fashion label and beauty brand to food bank charities amid coronavirus pandemic
- It's vintage M&S, darling! Housecoats and 50s dresses from St Michael label that was discontinued 20 years ago are snapped up online by young shoppers who love the retro prints and superior quality
- Digital lender Atom Bank eyes £150m shareholder injection
How Percy Pig sweets have piggy banked more than £20 million for Marks and Spencer have 774 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 5, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.