Ha Long Bay, Quang Ninh province in Vietnam.
“There’s no sight quite like the towering karst rock formations of Ha Long Bay in Quang Ninh province, Vietnam. Legend has it, this unusual landscape was created by emerald-spitting dragons during a fierce battle against the country’s enemies,” Woman and Home wrote.
A romantic notion indeed, but just a folk tale – these huge cliffs were actually created over 500 million years as a result of erosion from ocean currents and weather.
Woman and Home advises travelers to explore its many caves and swim in its warm waters on a traditional junk boat cruise from the mainland city of Ha Long – and make sure you stay overnight to see the place at sunrise.
Dubrovnik in Croatia tops the list, followed by the Maldives, Ha Long Bay in Vietnam, Santorini in Greece, Giza in Egypt.
Earlier, Ha Long Bay in Quang Ninh province, Vietnam has been named among the 25 most beautiful places around the world to celebrate the Earth Day, according to CNN, a US news cable and satellite television channel.
Its enduring popularity has made Ha Long Bay one of the hottest natural attractions in Southeast Asia. With 1,969 islets of hulking limestone and deep, green waters that are home to myriad floating villages, this is a place where time slows to a standstill, CNN wrote.
CNN advises travelers to sail on a junk boat or pick up a kayak, and get lost in the quieter reaches of this vast and fascinating corner of the South China Sea, which is also known as the East Sea in Vietnam.
- Helicopter – new way to explore Ha Long Bay: CNN
- Ten best places to visit in Vietnam, Touropia finds
- Ten best places to visit in Viet Nam, Touropia finds
- Site names Mystic 'prettiest' town in Connecticut
- Ask the Captain: Delivering short-range planes a long distance
- Cheap holidays 2018: Best travel deals on all inclusive, last minute packages, cruises and city breaks
- Best things to do in Barbados for the ultimate adventure holiday
- Your Say: What is your favorite spot in San Diego?
- Where to go in Italy in 2018: Ten travel ideas off the beaten path