Dien Bien (VNA) – A cycling tournament celebrating the 65th anniversary of the Dien Bien Phu Victory (May 7, 1954 – 2019) wrapped up in Dien Bien Phu city of the northwestern mountainous province of Dien Bien on May 6.
Yedi Misamad of Loc Troi Group won the yellow jersey while Quang Van Cuong of the same team secured the blue one. Philippine cyclist Ismael Grospe earned the red jersey.
The six-day cycling event began on May 1, with four stages stretching nearly 500 km in total. It went along historical destinations of Vietnam’s northwestern region, such as Phu Cuong, Pha Din and Tang Quang mountain passes.
The race attracted 70 cyclists of 10 domestic and two foreign teams of Japan and the Philippines.
Speaking at the closing ceremony, Vice Chairman of the provincial People’s Committee Le Van Quy said that the cycling tournament aims to discover new talents and to honour Dien Bien Phu soldiers.
On the occasion, the organisers presented nearly 1,000 gifts worth 1.5 billion VND (64,360 USD) to soldiers who took part in the historic campaign, policy beneficiaries and disadvantaged students.
Under the command of General Vo Nguyen Giap, the Vietnam People’s Army won the Dien Bien Phu historical victory in Dien Bien province on May 7, 1954, making important contributions to ending the Indochina war with the signing of Geneva Agreement on July 20, 1954, thus restoring peace in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.-VNA
- Cycling race celebrates Dien Bien Phu victory
- Lao ministry celebrates Dien Bien Phu Victory
- Art program celebrates Dien Bien Phu victory
- Cultural activities celebrate Dien Bien Phu victory
- Stellar show to celebrate Dien Bien Phu victory
- Cycling event marks Dien Bien Phu victory
- Marvelous show to celebrate Dien Bien Phu victory
- Bản in : Marvelous show to celebrate Dien Bien Phu victory
- Film week in Laos celebrates Dien Bien Phu victory