THE Masters at Augusta each year is one of the most brilliant spectacles in golf, if not the world of sport. Glorious sunshine, glistening fairways, some fantastic golf and of course the time-honoured tradition of the Georgia club. For when the victorious player wins the prestigious tournament, then comes one of the most recognisable winning ceremonies. The passing over of the green jacket from the previous year’s champ to this one in a quiet room is eagerly-awaited – but why does it happen? Here is all you need to know… Where did the green jacket at Augusta come from? Slipping on the green jacket is the pinnacle moment for any winner of the tournament, but its story has an interesting past. That is down to co-founder of Augusta Bobby Jones, an Atlanta-born lawyer by trade, attending a dinner at the Royal Liverpool golf club in Hoylake, where captains all wore red jackets to stand out from the crowd. When Augusta was founded in 1933, members of the club in that decade wore green jackets during the tournament so that fans in attendance could easily recognise them if a fan needed to ask questions. Members were not initially enthusiastic about wearing the warm,… Read full this story
- The Latest: Seoul says tourists did not wear life jackets
- 'Top Chef Masters' Winner: Marcus Samuelsson
- Does 'Master Bedroom' Make You Think of Slavery?
- The Masters: Jim Nantz’s Memories Of The 12th Hole At Augusta
- Melania Trump Wears ‘I Really Don’t Care. Do U?’ Jacket Ahead Of Border Visit
- Molinari Builds 2-Shot Lead As Masters Moves To Sunday Morning
- Tiger Woods Wins The Masters, Captures First Major Since 2008
- Social Justice Does Not Always Come from the Court Room: An Interview with Sarah Deer
- Green Motorsports: Formula E Wraps Season in Brooklyn
- I Am Extremely Here for this British Racing Green Toyota 86 Limited Edition
Why does the Masters winner wear a green jacket, and how did famous tradition begin? have 323 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 14, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.