Photo: Lil Nas X via YouTube To say that the rise of Lil Nas X has been meteoric is an understatement. His hit song, “Old Town Road,” flew up the charts, hitting No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 (and No. 1 on the country charts before it was deemed not country) before he had even been signed to a record label. Radio stations, eager to play the song, ripped it from YouTube because it wasn’t available through official channels. The YouTube copy, by the way, is set to a montage of footage from the video game Red Dead Redemption 2. The ascendance of Lil Nas X on the back of “Old Town Road” feels very DIY, a web-native breakout hit happening entirely outside of the record-label and radio-DJ gatekeeping systems. The musician, whose real name is Montero Lamar Hill, is by no means finished. After a bidding war, he signed to Colombia Records, and a remix of his hit song, featuring Billy Ray Cyrus, was released last night. Lil Nas X’s understanding of pop culture and how it travels online is visible in various parts of this story. For instance, to facilitate his rise up the charts, he listed… Read full this story
- Yeehaw agenda thrives with release of Lil Nas X ‘Old Town Road’ Billy Ray Cyrus remix
- How ‘Old Town Road’ became the anthem for Texas Tech’s national title run
- NCAA Tournament championship 2019: How 'Old Town Road' became Texas Tech's unlikely theme song
- 'Old Town road' song has Raiders rocking
- New developers of Old Town Mall site provide first glimpse of plans
- Lil Nas X, Chase Rice to perform at Stanley Cup Final
- APNewsBreak: Lil Nas X to perform at Stanley Cup Final
- Tom Brady wants Lil Nas X to perform at Patriots season opener
- One-way traffic in Seksyen 1, PJ Old Town from Mar 16
- Northern hemisphere rugby league finds a crossroads in its 'dirty old town'
Before ‘Old Town Road,’ Lil Nas X Was a Tweetdecker have 330 words, post on nymag.com at April 5, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.