A digger was found abandoned in an Asda car park after it was used to steal a cash machine in an apparent ram raid.
Kent Police said the vehicle had been driven into the supermarket in Tunbridge Wells shortly after 3.30am on Thursday.
The digger smashed a hole in the side of the shop near to where the ATMs are located, causing a large amount of damage.
A commuter passing the supermarket on the way to work said it “looks like someone has been doing a bit of late-night shopping”.
He added police had “cordoned off the entire site” and there was “an abandoned digger with a huge hole in the wall where the ATMs were once housed”.
One man wrote on Twitter that he had driven past the Asda to find it “swarming” with police.
John Pilgrim said: “Just drove past @asda in Tunbridge Wells and it’s swarming with Old Bill. Someone has nicked a digger and ripped the 2 ATMs out of the wall. Dumped the digger and done a runner with the cash machines.”
More from Kent
- Conspiracy theories encourage low-level crime, study finds
- Unsafe staffing levels put kids at risk at Kent hospitals – CQC report
- NHS blood donation clinics in Kent not cancelled despite Brexit traffic fears
- Egyptian military man branded ‘arrogant sexual molester’ by UK judge
- Grandmother’s lightbulb bought from Woolworths in 1943 still works
- Ramsgate: Man arrested after bomb squad called over ‘suspicious materials’ in flat
An Asda spokesperson said the supermarket remains closed while the theft is investigated.
Police are linking the ram raid to a burglary overnight at a recycling centre on the same road.
Detective Inspector James Derham said: “The cash machine burglary took place in a busy industrial area of the town and we are asking for witnesses who may have seen anyone acting suspiciously or saw a large vehicle leaving the North Farm Estate area around the time of the incident.”
Kent Police ask anyone with information to call 01622 604100 quoting 04-121, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
- More than 50 Tory MPs rebel against Boris's 'back of fag packet' post-lockdown tiers despite his desperate pleas and Matt Hancock nearly weeping in Commons - but curbs WILL come into force after Labour abstained to save the PM
- The best cheap laptop deals in December 2020
- The best Cyber Monday laptop deals for 2020
- 33 last-minute Best Buy Cyber Monday deals you can still get before midnight
- Britain records 12,330 Covid cases in lowest Monday toll since September and deaths continue to plateau with 205 fatalities as ministers warn it may be summer before UK gets back to normal
- The best cheap MacBook Pro deals, prices and sales in December 2020
- Best cheap laptop deals and sales for November 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Character Attributes Guide - How To Create Character Builds For V
- These are the best cheap MacBook deals for November 2020
- Cyber Monday Gaming Laptop deals: the mobile gaming systems still on sale today
- Meet The Tech Entrepreneurs Trying To Take Back The Porn Industry
- The best cheap Chromebook prices and deals in November 2020
Asda ram raid: Digger used to steal cash machine in Tunbridge Wells have 541 words, post on news.sky.com at April 4, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.