The Hanoitimes – The sanctions leave direct impact on North Korean economy shown through a sharp decline in exports last year. What are visions for the denuclearization after second no-deal summit? The failure of the second Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi suggests sanctions remain a big issue between the US and North Korea, foreign media quoted international experts as saying. The UN Security Council votes to adopt a resolution imposing sanctions against North Korea. Photo: Getty Images North Korean nuclear negotiator Kim Yong Chol told Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in May 2018 that Pyongyang’s shift away from weapons was “not a result of sanctions that have been imposed from outside.” But in July 2018, Seoul-based Bank of Korea estimated the North Korean economy had seen its biggest decline in two decades, with the country’s real annual gross domestic product (GDP) falling by 3.5% in 2017 while exports declined 37.2% in 2017 alone. Benjamin Katzeff Silberstein, a non-resident fellow at the Stimson Centre in Washington, recently published an overview of North Korea’s economy ahead of the Hanoi summit, wrote “the regime is likely under a great deal of stress concerning the economy.” “The sharp decline in North Korea’s exports last… Read full this story
- Pompeo: U.S. Willing to Aid North Korea’s Economy for Denuclearization
- Pentagon Official: U.S. to Keep Pressure on North Korea as Trump-Kim Meeting on Edge
- Construction is booming in North Korea, but who's paying?
- North Korea's Olympic Diplomacy Hasn't Stopped Its Hacking
- North Korea Vows ‘All Sorts of Support’ to Syria as Assad Awards Ambassador
- Despite Detente, North Korea Warns U.S. Against ‘Stupid Behavior’
- North Korea threatens to cancel summit with Trump over military 'ruckus' with South Korea
- Report: U.S. Knows Location of North Korea’s Secret Uranium Stash
- White House Brushes Aside North Korea’s Threats to Cancel Summit With Trump
- Trump: Meeting with North Korea’s Kim Will Be ‘Terrific’
How much do US-led sanctions hurt North Korea economy? have 329 words, post on www.hanoitimes.vn at March 7, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.