A new production of “Porgy and Bess” — the classic set in a poor, black neighborhood in the American south — will open the Metropolitan Opera’s next season, the New York company announced Wednesday. The 2019-20 season at the prestigious house will open September 23 with its first run of the bluesy opera by American composer George Gershwin in nearly three decades, with Eric Owens and Angel Blue cast as the leads. The new Met season — the second under the leadership of Music Director Yannick Nezet-Seguin — will feature five new productions total, including two making their house debuts: Philip Glass’ “Akhnaten” in November and Handel’s 18th Century satire “Agrippina” in February, which will feature the star mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato. Next season’s highlights also include Sir Bryn Terfel for the first time since 2012 in a new rendition of Wagner’s “Der Fliegende Hollander,” and a new production of Alban Berg’s “Wozzeck” developed by South African artist William Kentridge. Revivals include Tchaikovsky’s “Queen of Spades” and Gluck’s “Orfeo ed Euridice,” as well as a handful of performances of popular operas like Puccini’s “Turandot” and Verdi’s “La Traviata.” The 2019-2020 season will also be the first to feature Sunday matinees. Gershwin’s… Read full this story
- Michael Jordan warned Antoine Walker after opening 1997-98 season with loss to Celtics, ex-coach says
- Green Flag: IndyCar to Open its Delayed Season in Texas
- Only 20% of Greek hotels could open for summer season – as they are worried about lawsuits from guests
- Green flag: IndyCar to open its delayed season in Texas
- Orava Castle and forest railway open for summer season
- Nézet-Séguin got $392,152 in initial part of 1st Met season
- MLB Season Proposal Approved By Owners, Yankees And Mets Seasons Could Start July 4
- CT Beaches To Open Memorial Day Weekend With Key Rules
- What's Open, Closed For Christmas in Canton, Holly Springs?
- What's Open, Closed For New Year's In Cherokee County?
'Porgy & Bess' to open next Met Opera season have 334 words, post on en.rfi.fr at February 20, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.