Politburo member, Secretary of the Party Central Committee (PCC) and Head of the PCC’s Commission for Communication and Education Vo Van Thuong welcomed the North Korean leader at the station.
The North Korean leader and his delegation has been on their way to Hanoi by car.
Dong Dang Train Station was closed to the public and surrounded by armed guards on Monday.
Hundreds of soldiers and polices guarded the area surrounding the station before the train’s arrival while a ban has been issued for the 169km stretch of Highway 1 from Dong Dang to Hanoi.
More than 200 local and international journalists have gathered at the station since February 25. Official North Korean news agency KCNA confirmed Kim’s departure from Pyongyang earlier Saturday. The train arrived in China late Saturday, expected to stop at Dong Dang Train Station on the Vietnam-China border on February 26.
Meanwhile security was tight at JW Marriott Hotel Hanoi and Melia Hanoi Hotel where U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will be staying during their summit in Hanoi.
President Donald Trump left the US for Hanoi on Monday to head for the summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that will take place in Hanoi on February 27-28. The US leader is expected to arrive in the capital this evening.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un steps off armored train.
Vietnamese students welcome North Korean leader Kim Jong Un .
The North Korean leader and his delegation take a journey to the capital by car.
At the welcoming ceremony in Dong Dang Train Station before the train’s arrival.
More than 200 local and international journalists have gathered at the station.
Security is tight at JW Marriott Hotel Hanoi and Melia Hanoi Hotel.
By Staff writers – Translated by Kim Khanh
- IOC president meets North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang
- Dennis Rodman claims he begged North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to release Otto Warmbier
- South Korean president to meet North Korean leader’s sister
- Sister of North Korean leader to come to South for Olympics
- North Korean cheering group to arrive in South for Olympics
- Dennis Rodman praises Donald Trump for decision to meet with Kim Jong Un
- S. Koreans burn Kim’s photo as N. Korean band leader passes
- Kim Jong Un’s sister begins unprecedented South Korea visit
- Activists rip Kim Jong Un’s photo in Olympic protest
- The Latest: EU slaps sanctions on 17 more North Koreans