The annual One Young World Summit convenes the brightest young talent from every country and sector, working to accelerate social impact. Delegates from 190+ countries are counselled by influential political, business and humanitarian leaders such as Justin Trudeau, Paul Polman and Meghan Markle, amongst many other global figures.
Delegates participate in four transformative days of speeches, panels, networking and workshops. All delegates have the opportunity to apply to give keynote speeches, sharing a platform with world leaders with the world’s media in attendance. As well as listening to keynote speakers, delegates have the opportunity to challenge world leaders, interact and be mentored by influencers. Delegates make lasting connections throughout the Summit, celebrating their participation at social events and the unforgettable Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
The One Young World Summit 2019 sees the global forum for young leaders return ‘home’ for the first time since the inaugural Summit in 2010. With over 300 languages to be heard on its streets, London is one of the most diverse places in the world. The city is home to nearly 9 million people, one of the world’s biggest financial centres and countless historic sites such as Buckingham Palace and Big Ben. A city where the past and future merge, London provides the ideal backdrop for young leaders from more than 190 countries to work together to accelerate positive change.
Are you a young leader from Asia? You could attend the One Young World 2019 Summit in London from 22 – 25 October via our flagship Scholarship.
About the Leading Asia Scholarship?
Leading Asia is an initiative designed to ensure that outstanding young people from Asia are represented at the One Young World Summit 2019 in London.
Across the Asian continent, every state is confronted by a series of interdependent challenges. After years of prosperity and growth, the trade-war between China and USA may have transformative effects on the structure of the entire region. The 4IR is predicted to cause upheaval for industries that have sustained economies for decades. There has been a rapid rise of censorship across the South-East Asian region, increasingly in response to domestic instability. Improving the treatment of ethnic-minority groups remains an urgent priority. The region is chiefly responsible for extraordinary amounts of plastic pollution.
In the midst of these challenges, it is young leaders who are devising meaningful strategies to build a more sustainable region. Are you one of those leaders? If so, One Young World is looking to bring you to the next annual Summit in London.
What does Leading Asia Scholarship sponsorship pay for?
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2019 in London, the United Kingdom.
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis between 22 October and 25 October 2018.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit hand-outs and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from London. Your flight to and from London must depart from and return to one and the same international airport.
Please note that if you are ultimately selected for a Scholarship and require a visa to enter the UK to attend the One Young World Summit 2019, you will be required to pay the UK visa fee yourself. The UK visa costs £93 GBP plus the applicable service charge of your local visa application centre. The costs of the visa and the applicable service charge as well as any further costs associated with the visa application (including travel to and from the visa application centre) fall on you as the participant.
Are you eligible?
You are eligible for Leading Asia sponsorship if you can answer ‘yes’ to the following questions:
- Are you over 18?
- Have an evidenced commitment to delivering positive change
- Demonstrate capacity for leadership
- Are addressing key local and/or global issues in your work
- Have a track record of generating impactful and innovative ideas
- Are a national (passport holding citizen) of one of the countries listed below:
|Kazakhstan||Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of||Korea, Republic of||Kyrgyzstan|
|Lao, People’s Democratic Republic||Malaysia||Maldives||Mongolia|
The selection process:
The strongest applicants will be shortlisted by the end of May. You will be contacted individually by a member of the One Young World team if you have been shortlisted.
- We cannot guarantee any applicant that they will be shortlisted or that we will secure sponsorship for any shortlisted applicant.
- Priority will be given to applicants from countries that have been less represented at previous One Young World Summits.
- Priority will also be given to first-time Summit attendees (not OYW Ambassadors)
- Due to the overwhelming amount of applications we receive, One Young World is unable to respond to individual emails enquiring about the outcome of the Leading Asia selection process.
- We do not provide feedback as to why candidates are not selected.
Tips for applying: check out our helpful guidelines for submitting a successful application.
Application deadline: Monday 15 April 2019, 5PM BST
- Liam Williams tipped to lead Wales to Rugby World Cup 2019 glory
- Rugby World Cup 2019: Five games you must watch in Week One
- Rugby World Cup 2019: All Blacks v South Africa
- Rugby World Cup 2019: Live Updates
- Where to download a Rugby World Cup 2019 sweepstake
- Rugby World Cup 2019: Kiwis unprepared ahead of opening weekend
- Rugby World Cup 2019: a guide to the referees
- Rugby World Cup 2019: Segio Parisse confident Italy can surprise
- Rugby World Cup 2019: France ring the changes for USA clash
- Rugby World Cup 2019: Ireland v Russia