“We must reject the politics of revenge, resistance and retribution, and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise and the common good” — this is a line from President Donald Trump’s State of the Union speech, which seemed to have inspired House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s clapback.
After POTUS’s call for unity, Pelosi stood and applauded toward him in such a way that Trump critics immediately suggested that she was trolling the president.
— BG From the Bottom of the Map (@GhostFaceSigma) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Nancy Pelosi sarcastically claps at President Trump after he calls for Americans to “reject the politics of revenge, resistance, and retribution, and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise, and the common good.” #SOTU pic.twitter.com/gGDTXXPNHe
— Vox (@voxdotcom) 6 февраля 2019 г.
— Becca Morgan (@itsmebeccam) 6 февраля 2019 г.
— Jenny Greenwood (@jenny_oldstones) 6 февраля 2019 г.
— Wayne Dupree 🎧 (@WayneDupreeShow) 6 февраля 2019 г.
— ☇RiotWomenn☇ (@riotwomennn) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Comic Patton Oswalt happened to come up with his own name for the now-viral clap:
— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) 6 февраля 2019 г.
One netizen alleged that Democratic congresswomen, who made a statement of solidarity in matching “suffragist-white” outfits to symbolise women’s rights, were waiting for Pelosi’s signal to start applauding:
— IMdEGGMAN (@heltrskeltr9) 6 февраля 2019 г.
But it was not just the clap (seemingly rife with sarcasm) that has garnered so much attention: one Twitterian suggested that Pelosi was acting unprofessionally as she kept looking at her papers instead of the president:
— Isaac Thompson (@mannythompson15) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Others, however, poked fun at the situation, assuming that she might have obtained an “advance copy” of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report on the investigation into the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with the Kremlin:
— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Whatever was on the paper, there was no shortage of suggestions from curious netizens:
I see Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s strategy tonight:
— Jason K. Morrell (@CNNJason) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Pelosi seems to be following along on comically large pieces of paper.
— Tal Kopan (@TalKopan) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Does Nancy Pelosi have a paper due at midnight?
— Tom Lynch (@TomLynch_) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Speaker Pelosi going through the speech looking like my college professor when I turned in a paper I wrote the night before. #SOTU
— don meeg (@Donball) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Many social media users pointed out that Pelosi refused to applaud when it came to cancer research or unemployment statistics…
Pelosi refuses to applause record low African-American & hispanic unemployment levels. #SOTU
— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) 6 февраля 2019 г.
Wait, Pelosi won’t stand for cancer research? #SOTU
— Katie Pavlich (@KatiePavlich) 6 февраля 2019 г.
…while one netizen tweeted a photo of Trump’s predecessor Barack Obama and then-House Speaker Paul Ryan, who also seemed reluctant to stand and clap to defend Pelosi:
— Teenaged Political Nerd (@_Political_Nerd) 6 февраля 2019 г.
A fellow Twitterian alluded to the stalemate between Democrats and Republicans over Trump’s proposal to build a protective wall on the country’s southern border with Mexico to stem the flow of illegal migrants:
Donald Trump was initially scheduled to deliver the State of the Union address on 29 January, however, Pelosi postponed it out of security concerns due to the fact the US government was in the middle of the country’s longest partial shutdown.
The 35-day shutdown began on 22 December after Democratic lawmakers refused to endorse Trump’s proposal to allocate $5.7 billion to erect a wall on the US southern border to stop migrants from entering the country illegally.
- Liz Cheney holds talks with top Democrat Jamie Raskin as she leads at least FIVE Republicans vowing to vote to impeach Trump - with Mitch McConnell 'more than 50% likely' to convict President when it comes to the Senate
- House Poised to Impeach Trump for Second Time: Live Updates
- Donald Trump DENIES all responsibility for MAGA riot saying speech to mob was 'totally appropriate' and accuses Democrats of 'causing tremendous danger' by impeaching him
- Donald Trump boasts he is at 'zero risk' of removal by the 25th Amendment then claims it will be used against Joe Biden as he signs his border wall in bid to highlight his 'legacy' - after accepting NO blame for MAGA riot
- GOP sources say there is a 'better than 50/50' chance Mitch McConnell votes to convict Trump in impeachment trial because he 'wants him purged from the GOP' - as Liz Cheney says she wants president removed
- What is MeWe? Facebook rival goes viral after Trump dumped by social media giants
- Who were they? Records reveal Trump fans who stormed Capitol
- Republicans Are Still Trying To Keep Trump In Power Even After He Incited A Deadly Insurrection
- Live updates: It’s Inauguration Day for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris
- Moment MAGA rioter throws fire extinguisher at back of Capitol cops's head - the same weapon used to kill officer Brian Sicknick
- Biden tries to go from normalcy to relevancy
- Fox News helped create the Big Lie. As ratings slide, it can't escape it
'F*ck You Clap': Twitter Wild as Pelosi's Applause Steals Show at Trump's SOTU have 993 words, post on sputniknews.com at February 6, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.