New Delhi (Sputnik): India and Japan on Thursday activated a $75 billion currency swap agreement with the signing of a new Agreement for Bilateral Swap Arrangement (BSA) between the Reserve Bank of India and Bank of Japan.
The new BSA enables India to access 75 billion in US dollars whereas the earlier BSA had provided for US $50 billion. The BSA as a foreign trade payment mechanism was negotiated between India and Japan during the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Tokyo on 29 October 2018.
The agreement is flexible and enables India to access even partial BSA amounts as per its needs under the currency swap at any point of time.
Welcoming the agreement, the Indian government expressed gratitude to Japan.
“This is in the spirit of strong partnership and carries out its strategic partnership further. This financial cooperation would further enhance the strong economic ties between India and Japan,” the official statement added.
India, the world’s sixth-largest economy, had been facing difficulties in making payments to its major trading partners such as Iran, Russia and Venezuela after the Trump administration had imposed economic sanctions on them. With Russia and Iran, the Indian government has been trying to establish a mechanism to make import payments via domestic currency.
Last December, India’s Ministry of Finance had notified the rate of exchange for Turkish lira and Korean won to facilitate trade and business with these two countries and ease the process of conversion of their respective currencies into Indian Rupees and vice-versa.
Also on 4 December 2018, India and the UAE signed a currency swap agreement for 35 billion rupees or 1.8 AED ($496 million approx) to reduce dependency on the US dollar in bilateral trade.
- S.Korea, Australia renew currency swap deal for 3 years
- China Making Major Slashes To Retaliatory Tariffs On $75 Billion In U.S. Goods
- China Cuts Tariffs on $75 Billion of US Imports
- China cuts tariffs in half on $75 billion of U.S. imports
- China Cuts Tariffs on $75 Billion of U.S. Products it Already Promised to Import
- China cuts tariffs on $75 billion of U.S. imports in trade truce
- Ahmedabad, Delhi, Agra may be stops on Donald Trump’s India trip
- China's US imports tariff cuts propel Japan shares to best day in 13 months
- Vietjet sees profit increase sharply, highlights India market
- EM ASIA FX-Most Asian currencies weaken ahead of Fed meeting
- Efficiency parameters soon to aid EV battery swapping
- FOREX-Safe-haven currencies slip as China virus worries ebb
De-dollarisation: India, Japan Activate $75 Billion Currency Swap Agreement have 432 words, post on sputniknews.com at February 28, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.