As many as 65 drivers have been found positive for drugs after nationwide spot checks according to the Ministry of Public Security.
A driver is checked for alcohol and drug use
A report from the ministry said that three provinces of Lai Chau, Binh Phuoc and Thanh Hoa had the highest number of drug-positive drivers during January 21-30.
Inspections for alcohol and drug-positive drivers are being carried out during and after Tet Holiday on passengers buses of eight seats and over and trucks.
Drug use is high among commercial truck drivers in Vietnam as amphetamines and cocaine are said to help them stay awake.
Police checks have revealed many drivers are using drugs. The drivers said they knew about the dangers of driving under the influence but they had no other choice due to the high-pressure deadlines they were operating under.
Driver Phan Hau from Phu Yen Province revealed that because of the high demand for drivers to transport dragon fruit trucks to the Chinese border, businesses will hire inexperienced drivers for long-distance trips.
Four people were killed and 18 were injured when a truck ran into dozens of motorbikes waiting at a red light in Long An Province on January 2. The driver in the case tested positive for alcohol and drugs.
Statistics from HCM City Police Department show that there are 23,508 registered addicts. Major General Phan Anh Minh, deputy director of the Police Department, suggested tightening management with stricter punishments. Currently, firms only have to bear civil liability when their drivers cause accidents. The regulations should be revised so that firms and vehicle owners face criminal responsibility when using addicted drivers or allow overloaded buses or trucks.
Another inspection will be carried out from February 11- 20.
- Rain gives drivers an extra day to strategize
- MLB notebook: Nationals ace Scherzer on 10-day IL
- Get Spot-Checked for Skin Cancer
- Lose Up To 10 Pounds In 10 Days—And Get Other Amazing Benefits Of Our 21-Day Challenge
- Delicious, Fresh Mushrooms in 10 Days: Just Add Water
- What we've learned from the first 10 days of the World Cup
- GameStop Black Friday 2015 Sale Begins Nov. 20 And Is 10 Days
- I Said Hello To 10 People a Day For 10 Days. Here’s What Happened
- Red Sox place David Price on 10-day IL with left wrist injury
- Microsoft’s giving you just 10 days now, not 31, to change your mind about Windows 10