After the United States decided to withdraw troops from Syria, Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) appealed to Damascus to establish control over the areas they had previously occupied, including Manbij, and to protect them from the Turkish invasion. In late December, Syrian troops entered Manbij. In early January, Syrian Defence Ministry reported that about 400 YPG fighters left Manbij and were heading toward the eastern bank of Euphrates to focus on fighting the Daesh* terrorist group.
“Today, patrols have begun to patrol the security zone in the area of the settlement of Manbij and its suburbs. The task is to ensure security in the area of responsibility, to control the position and movement of armed formations,” Mamatov said.
The first patrol route of military police officers passed along the rear border of the security zone near Manbij, he explained.
The military patrolled several tens of kilometres in the northern part of the province, and the route will change regularly in the future, Mamatov added.
According to the spokesman, the military police receive from local residents reports about arms dumps and unexploded shells that have remained here since the occupation of the territories by militants.
*Daesh (ISIL/ISIS/Islamic State/IS), a terrorist group banned in Russia and a wide number of other countries.
- Russian troops killed during rebel raid in Syria's Deir Az Zor
- Henry Vincent: Police increase patrols for funeral of stabbed burglar amid fears of clashes
- Israel launches massive military strike against Iranian targets in Syria
- Russian Military Finds Syrian Militants' Depots With NATO Weapons
- Ebola vaccinations to begin in rural areas of DR Congo amid efforts to contain outbreak
- Syrian military takes key territory in country’s center, says ‘armed terrorism has been uprooted’
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over offensive
- Rebels evacuate Syria’s last besieged enclave as civilian deaths surge
- Syria rebels leave last besieged enclave
- Civilians and rebel fighters start to leave enclave in Syria
- The truth about the brutal four-hour battle between Russian mercenaries and US commandos in Syria
- Syrian Opposition Hails Statement on Foreign Troops' Withdrawal From Syria
Russian Military Police Begin to Patrol Manbij Area in Syria's Aleppo Province have 362 words, post on sputniknews.com at January 8, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.