Toxic smog forced hundreds of Bangkok schools to close Wednesday, as authorities struggle to manage a pollution crisis that has stirred widespread health fears and taken on a political edge just weeks before elections. Bangkok has been shrouded in murky haze for weeks, forcing residents to don masks AFP/Jewel SAMAD The Thai capital has been shrouded in murky haze for weeks, sparking social media criticism of the uneven response by the government and prompting rare scenes of residents donning masks on streets and on public transport. Reasons given for the lingering pall include exhaust from traffic, unfettered construction, the burning of crop stubble, and pollution from factories getting trapped in the city. Authorities have seeded clouds to provoke rain, sprayed overpasses with water to catch micro-pollutants and even asked people not to burn incense sticks and paper during Chinese New Year celebrations. The measures so far have drawn derision from many Bangkok residents, while stocks of pollution masks have run out in many shops. But on Wednesday, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration stepped up its health warnings, ordering all 437 city-controlled public schools to close from lunchtime through Friday, designating 1,500 square kilometres (580 square miles) of the city a “control… Read full this story
- Flights diverted as toxic smog chokes Delhi
- New Delhi schools shut because of toxic smog
- New Delhi choked by toxic smog, official compares it to ‘gas chamber’
- How Toxic smog in Delhi has hit tourism industry?
- Indians Imagine Blue Skies in North Indian Cities As Delhi Wakes Up To Toxic Smog
- Delhi declares air emergency: Schools shut till Nov 5 as city records worst AQI of season
- Apocalyptic Haze Envelops Delhi-NCR as Air Pollution Levels Peak at 14 Times the Safe Limit, All Schools Shut Till Tuesday
- India's capital New Delhi restricts cars as resident choke on toxic smog
- Toxic air chokes Delhi's tourism business; residents moving out of city till air quality improves
- India: Delhi restricts car use as toxic smog covers city
Hundreds of schools to shut as toxic smog chokes Bangkok have 337 words, post on dtinews.vn at January 30, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.