North Korean leader Kim Jong Un could still visit Seoul for the first time in the next few weeks, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Tuesday, describing the possible trip as a major boost in efforts to make the peninsula nuclear-free. Moon and Kim have met three times in 2018 amid warming ties between the two Koreas, with Seoul hoping to host a first-ever visit by Kim to the South before year’s end. But prospects of another meeting in coming weeks have dimmed as denuclearisation talks have stalled, prompting Moon to say that the planned visit’s timing should not overshadow its historic nature. “There is a possibility that Chairman Kim Jong Un’s visit to Seoul may be made within this year, but there’s more important things than the timing,” he said in translated remarks during a visit to New Zealand. “Whether it’s this year or not isn’t that important, what’s important is that the North Korea leader’s visit to South Korea will definitely accelerate the denuclearisation process in the Korean peninsula.” Moon said a visit by Kim to the South would also improve US-North Korea relations as Kim and President Donald Trump look to follow up their June summit in… Read full this story
- US Must ‘Show Commitment' to Peace Talks with North Korea
- South Korea Plans to Inspect Site of Inter-Korean Road Connection Next Month
- Denuclearization Negotiations May Be Fruitful as Trump, Kim Get ‘Serious'
- Moon Jae-in prepares for make or break summit with Kim Jong-un
- N Korea’s Kim says he hopes for ‘big outcome’ at inter-Korean summit
- S. Korea's Moon seeks nuclear agreement with Kim at summit
- North Korea agrees to shut down missile test sites, says South Korean president
- South Korean leader to discuss Kim Jong Un’s peace proposals with Donald Trump
- What to expect from Donald Trump's speech at the United Nations general assembly
- UN General Assembly 2018: Donald Trump delivers speech after arriving late
S.Korea's Moon still hopes to host Kim this year have 338 words, post on en.rfi.fr at December 3, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.