It followed an underwater landslide believed caused by the erupting Anak Krakatau volcano, officials and media said on Sunday. Hundreds of homes and other buildings were “heavily damaged” when the tsunami struck along the rim of the Sunda Strait late on Saturday, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for the disaster mitigation agency, said. Thousands of residents were forced to evacuate to higher ground. There was no estimate on the number of missing. TV images showed the seconds when the tsunami hit the beach and residential areas in Pandeglang on Java island, dragging with it victims, debris, and large chunks of wood and metal. On Dec. 26 in 2004, an Indian Ocean tsunami triggered by an earthquake killed 226,000 people in 13 countries, including more than 120,000 in Indonesia. The eruption of Krakatau in 1883 killed more than 36,000 people in a series of tsunamis. Anak Krakatau is the island that emerged from the area once occupied by Krakatau, which was destroyed in 1883. It first appeared in 1927 and has been growing ever since. Saturday’s tsunami was the latest in a series of tragedies that have struck Indonesia, a vast archipelago, this year. Successive earthquakes flattened parts of the tourist island… Read full this story
- Indonesia's Sinabung volcano ejects towering column of ash
- Indonesia’s Sinabung volcano erupts, sending column of ash 5,000 m into sky
- Monsoon rains trigger tea plantation landslide in India's Kerala state, killing at least 43 people
- Indonesia volcano eruption: Mount Sinabung spews ash cloud
- Baby on hospital ventilator among 60 killed in Mexico earthquake
- Mount Sinabung in Indonesia spews huge ash cloud in second eruption in three days
- 3 days of heavy monsoon rains kill 50 people across Pakistan
- 5 killed, 15 injured in blast in Pakistan's Balochistan
- Oprah Winfrey puts her Breonna Taylor O Magazine cover on 26 BILLBOARDS across Louisville - and demands that the police officers involved with her killing be arrested and charged
- Mexico earthquake: Who are the hero 'moles' of Mexico City?
Krakatau-triggered tsunami kills at least 168 in Indonesia have 328 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at December 23, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.