By Arshad Mohammed, Lesley Wroughton and Patricia ZengerleWASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States said on Friday it will temporarily allow eight importers to keep buying Iranian oil when it re-imposes sanctions on Monday to try to force Iran to curb its nuclear, missile and regional activities.U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who announced the decision, did not name the eight, which he referred to as “jurisdictions,” a term that might include importers such as Taiwan which the United States does not regard as a country.Having abandoned the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, U.S. President Donald Trump is trying to cripple Iran’s oil-dependent economy and force Tehran to quash not only its nuclear ambitions and its ballistic missile program but its support for militant proxies in Syria, Yemen, Lebanon and other parts of the Middle East. On Twitter, in a message designed to emphasize his “maximum pressure” policy toward Iran, Trump included a photograph of himself modeled on an entertainment industry poster with the headline: “Sanctions are coming November 5.”China, India, South Korea, Turkey, Italy, the United Arab Emirates and Japan have been top importers of Iran’s oil, while Taiwan occasionally buys cargoes of Iranian crude but is not a major buyer…. Read full this story
- Why did Donald Trump pull out of the Iran nuclear deal and what sanctions are the US reinstating?
- US-Iran Standoff Ignites Tensions in Gulf as Europe Scrambles to Salvage Nuclear Deal - Pundits
- Afghanistan: Iran sanctions, dollar smuggling add to currency woes
- Onion prices likely to soar as major import hub Turkey halts export
- 'A defining moment in the Middle East': the killing of Qassem Suleimani
- In the ruins of unilateralism
- Kia the fixer
- Face the Nation Transcripts September 21: Power, Rogers, Feinstein
- ASX enjoys one of the best years this century despite global and local worries
- Killing of Iranian general Suleimani complicates India's delicate ties with Tehran
U.S. allows eight importers to keep buying Iran oil for now have 327 words, post on www.metro.us at November 3, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.