Vietnam had to bid early farewell to the 2018 AFC U-19 Championship after only two games as they lost 1-2 to Australia during the second group-stage game in Indonesia on Monday afternoon.
Considered the underdogs, the Vietnamese let their rivals, who have better physique and technical skills, easily control the match right from the start.
In the 36th minute, Angus Thurgate received the ball from a free kick and, thanks to the negligence of the Vietnamese defense wall, managed to comfortably nutmeg goalie Y Eli Nie, opening the scoring for Australia.
After conceding the first goal, Vietnam tried to intensify their attacks but failed to cause much difficulty for the Australian defense as their ball phases were slow and thus lacked the surprise element from both wings.
With these weaknesses, it is not surprising that Vietnam conceded another goal in the 76th minute after a counterattack from Australia.
The second goal for the young Socceroos was scored by striker Ben Folami with a beautiful kick to the far corner after Atkinson’s delicate pass.
It was not until the last minutes when the Australian defenders were less concentrated that Vietnam found Australia's net, when substitute striker Le Van Nam had a chance to face goalie Delianov to finish off a pass from teammate Nguyen Van Van.
Monday's loss repeated the 1-2 defeat Vietnam suffered in their tournament opener with Jordan on Friday.
The second successive loss means elimination for Vietnam, regardless of their last group-stage game with South Korea on Thursday.
Before the current U-19 squad, Vietnam possessed a team full of young talents that were able to secure a historic final-eight spot at the 2016 edition of the biennial tournament.
The hopeful generation then has constantly brought Vietnam many historic achievements in the continental playgrounds, including the second place at the 2018 AFC U-23 Championship in China and the fourth-place finish at the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia.
- 2020 AFC U23 Championship: RoK beats Jordan, seals semis spot
- Japan, China first teams to bow out of AFC U23 Championship 2020
- Vietnam bow out of 2020 AFC U23 Championship
- Vietnam lose to DPRK, out of AFC U23 Championship
- Six teams into quarter-finals of AFC U23 Championship
- Vietnam’s U23s placed in 13th according to AFC U23 Championship rankings
- Three quarter-finalists already decided at AFC U23 Championship finals
- Vietnam, Tajikistan to clash in 2020 AFC Futsal Championship opener
- AFC U23 Championship: Coach takes responsibility for Vietnam’s early ouster
- Essentials for Vietnam to survive AFC U23 group stage
- TV Ratings: NFL’s AFC, NFC Championship Games Down From 2019
- Olyroos reach AFC U23 Championships quarter-finals despite draw with Bahrain
Vietnam eliminated from 2018 AFC U-19 Championship after Australia defeat have 441 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at October 23, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.