The wireless charging pad was unveiled alongside the iPhone X and 8, as a way of embracing their wireless charging capability. It can also power up AirPods – if their owners buy the new wireless charging case – and the Apple Watch, it said at the time.
But it has now been a year and an entire new generation of iPhones has been released, and Apple is still yet to release the charging mat. It remains unclear why it has taken so long, especially given that Apple had promised it would be ready soon after last year’s event.
After it disappointed users by not arriving at the iPhone event in September, those eager charger fans were left without it once again when the iPad event passed without mentioning the charging mat at all.
It was not mentioned at all at any of Apple’s 2018 events, despite rumours and expectations that Apple would at least offer an update.
Apple hasn’t offered its own wireless charging capabilities, instead relying on external companies like Belkin to make Qi charging mats.
The new AirPower was meant to finally introduce Apple’s own take. And it adds new features, like the Apple Watch charging, which will not work on any third-party chargers.
Apple also said it would be able to charge up the AirPod wireless earphone, using a special new case. That also did not arrive at the event.
The AirPower’s standout feature is that it is able to charge three different products at once, using a wide variety of charging technology. And those products can be placed absolutely anywhere on the wide mat.
It is thought to be that complicated system that has taken Apple so long to develop.
Apple is rumoured to be potentially holding another event next month. But it is expected to unveil new iPads and Macs at that launch, making it unlikely that the iPhone accessory is being saved until then.
This article was originally published in September, after Apple’s iPhone event. It has been updated and re-published, after the October event passed without any mention of AirPower at all.
- With new coronavirus tracker, Apple and Google may finally get their big break in health care
- RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Extinction Rebellion's gone right off the rails by blockading HS2 construction sites up and down the country
- Will I keep Apple's new Magic Keyboard?
- Apple Deals: AirPods Pro, Apple Watch Series 5, iPad 10.2, HomePod, MacBook Air
- Christopher Maloney missing explained - pals fear X Factor star went on 24-hour bender after BBBOTS appearance
- Heavy flow: are period pants the revolutionary solution to an age old problem?
- The Best Albums of April 2020: Fiona Apple, Sam Hunt and More
- Apple AirPods 3: all the specs and features we want to see
- Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro Review: The best tablet becomes a laptop — almost
- Top 100 Wines 2008
- All the Ways Gianna Bryant Has Been Honored Since Her Shocking Death
- All the Questions We Have After
Apple's AirPower was supposed to be revolutionary. But it's gone missing have 508 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at October 30, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.