HANOI: Vietnam’s President Tran Dai Quang, a former chief of internal security who became one of the most high-profile leaders in the communist-ruled country, died on Friday after an illness, state media said.Quang’s rise, at a time of growing dissent on social media and challenges to the party’s authority, signalled limits to Vietnam’s liberal agenda, despite a growing openness to social change and sweeping economic reform, experts say.Quang, 61, died in a military hospital in Hanoi of a “serious illness despite efforts by domestic and international doctors and professors,” Vietnam Television said.He had hosted a reception for China’s Supreme Court chief on Wednesday, state-owned newspaper Vietnam News said.Quang had been ill for months, said former health minister Nguyen Quoc Trieu, who now oversees healthcare for high-ranking officials.”He began showing symptoms of illness in June last year and has been treated in Japan six times since,” Trieu told Reuters.”He suffered from a kind of highly virulent virus, for which there has not been any efficient treatment.”Vietnam has no paramount ruler and is officially led by four “pillars”: its president, prime minister, the chief of its Communist Party and the national assembly chair.The president has a more ceremonial role, although he sits… Read full this story
- Preparing to Die - Taking Care of Unfinished Business
- Standing the Watch Shares True Story About Caring For a Loved One That is Terminally Ill
- Children React Differently When a Pet Dies, Based on Their Age
- How to Talk About Dying and Death
- Death and Dying - What I Want Vs What I Need
- Two-Hearted Killer (A Short Vietnam War Sketch, in Cam Ranh Bay, and an Attack)
- Stunning New Diverse Collection of Vietnam War Prose and Poetry Makes War Come Alive
- Facts of the Vietnam War - We Learned From That? Or Did We? Who Will You VOTE For?
- Vietnam, Cuba hold fifth political consultation
- Rescued by the USS Duluth during the Vietnam War, a family finally visits the city that represented freedom
Vietnam's president dies after viral illness have 353 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 21, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.