Head coach Hoang Anh Tuan rang the changes for his team after Vietnam lost their first match to Qatar 4-1. He also switched tactics, sending the team out in a more attacking 4-3-3 formation.
In the first minutes of the game, the African country dominated play. In the 4th minute, the Ivory Coast squad opened the scoring from the penalty spot after a mistake by a Vietnamese defender.
Although Vietnam’s U19s fell behind, they kept their heads and gradually took control of the game. However, the first half ended 1-0.
In the 48th minute, Vietnam’s captain Van Toan brought the score to parity, making it 1-1 with a well struck penalty.
Vietnam’s players grew in confidence over the remaining minutes of the game with Van Nam and Thien Duc scoring two more goals for Vietnam.
The match ended 3-1 to the Vietnam U19s squad.
On September 22, Vietnam will meet the strength of Uruguay’s U19s who took a 3-2 victory over the host, Qatar.
- World Cup 2010: Brazil beats Ivory Coast 3-1 to reach second round
- Brazil beat Ivory Coast 3-1, reach last 16
- Vietnam stun Hong Kong 3-1 in friendly match
- World Cup: Colombia beat Ivory Coast 2-1
- U23 Vietnam beat U23 Santos 3-1
- U-23s beat T&T 3-1 in friendly
- Vietnam beat the Philippines 3-1 to top group A
- Morocco beat Ivory Coast to reach Africa Cup of Nations last 16
- Vietnam ranks third at four-nation international friendly tournament