SYDNEY (Reuters) – An Australian newspaper defied international criticism and allegations of racism on Wednesday when it reprinted a controversial cartoon on its front page depicting U.S. tennis star Serena Williams having a temper tantrum at the U.S. Open. The Herald Sun, owned by News Corp, first published the caricature of Williams with exaggerated lips and tongue and curly hair rising from the top of her head as she stomped on her tennis racket on Monday. The image triggered widespread allegations of racism against illustrator Mark Knight. The Herald Sun and Knight deny the cartoon is racist. Despite the outrage, the paper reprinted the cartoon alongside unflattering caricatures of U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, attempting to portray the controversy as an effort to curtail free speech. “If the self-appointed censors of Mark Knight get their way on his Serena Williams cartoon, our new politically correct life will be very dull indeed,” the paper wrote in an editorial on its front page. Herald Sun editor Damon Johnston extended the defence on Twitter as he denied any racism or sexism. “It rightly mocks poor behaviour by a tennis legend,” Johnson tweeted. However, the cartoon still drew… Read full this story
- Can a Controversial Coach Help Serena Williams Stay the World's Best Tennis Player?
- Serena Williams wants to talk about fashion & family, not US Open meltdown at Las Vegas
- Serena Williams, From Ghetto Girl to Grand Slam Queen
- Serena Williams Beats Venus To Clinch Australian Open Title, Breaks Steffi Graf's Open-Era Record
- Australian Open 2019: Serena Williams Enters Last 16, Venus Williams Knocked Out By Simona Halep
- Australian Open: Serena Williams Handed Tough Draw In Quest For Record 24th Slam
- Australian Open 2019: Serena Williams Shooting For Grand Slam History
- Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal And Andy Murray All Confirmed For Australian Open
- Australian Open 2019: Ominous Serena Williams, Alexander Zverev Make Open Statements
- Serena Williams Hints At Pregnancy In Snapchat Post
Australian newspaper defies criticism, reprints Serena Williams cartoon have 334 words, post on www.euronews.com at September 11, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.