A wife received a touching card from her husband for their 29th anniversary hours after he died.
Mark Murrell managed to tell wife Wendy that he loved her one final time after he passed away on Good Friday earlier this year.
Hours before Mark, 51, was rushed into Hull Royal Infirmary in the final stages of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), an incurable, progressive condition which leads to a decline in lung function.
As he battled through his final moments he told nurses, Sam Quiney and Hannah North, he was about to celebrate his 29th wedding anniversary that weekend, but he had been too ill to buy Wendy a card, reports Hull Daily Mail .
So Sam and Hannah offered to buy a card on his behalf, and post it to Wendy.
Sam said: “They were such a lovely couple and we could see how much they loved each other.
“The way he spoke about his wife was just so lovely.”
Wendy received the card just hours after Mark’s death and the day before their anniversary.
Wendy said: “It gave me so much comfort knowing he still thought of me right to the end. But that was just Mark.”
Wendy has now nominated Sam and Hannah for a Moments of Magic Award run by the Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust to recognise individual members of staff for going beyond their normal duties to help colleagues or patients.
Wendy said: “They were absolutely amazing. You couldn’t have asked for two more amazing caring compassionate nurses who gave 100 percent to their patients.
“He’d been so poorly that neither of us had been able to get a card.
“Mark told them he hadn’t been able to get me an anniversary card and they got it for him. What they did for us just touched my heart.”
In a message to the nurses, Wendy said: “Keep giving the care you do. I will always remember you both as angels for looking after my husband the way you did.”
Top Stories from Mirror Online
Mark suffered a heart attack when he was just 34 and underwent a heart bypass when he was just 37.
After he was diagnosed with IPF in 2016, the couple, who had three children and nine grandchildren, were able to spend the following year making memories before Mark’s health declined and he was admitted to hospital.
Sam and Hannah were on night shift when Mark was rushed onto the ward, with Wendy by his side.
Sam said: “The gentleman was very poorly when he was admitted and was deteriorating quite rapidly.
“Throughout the night, they were telling us about themselves and when we were alone with the patient, he told us it was his wedding anniversary but he hadn’t been able to buy his wife a card.
“Hannah asked if we could get a card for him and he was really pleased and asked if it would be too much trouble.
“We told him it wouldn’t and got it for him after our shifts and posted it to his wife.
“We didn’t know she had received it after he passed away until she contacted the Trust and we were so touched by what she said.”
Hannah added: “It was important to us to make Mark as comfortable as possible, along with providing support for his wife, Wendy.
“Sam and I spent time chatting to them both throughout the night. You could see how much it meant to Mark when asking him if he wanted us to get him an anniversary card.
“It’s lovely to hear how much receiving this card meant to Wendy.”
- After heartbreaking photo of parents dying of cancer, orphaned children vow to fight on… as nearly £250k is raised for their future
- Dying bride's heartbreaking final request to groom's ex-wife from hospital bed just hours before she took last breath
- Who was Rebecca Ellison? Rio Ferdinand’s wife and mum-of-three who died of breast cancer
- Mum’s heartbreak as husband falls 200ft to his death after final meal with her and their toddler daughter
- Canonbury man: ‘My organ donor wife saved three lives when she died – you can do the same’
- Devastated dad’s heartbreaking final dance with dying baby daughter before she passes away
- Mark Austin and his family open up about daughter Maddy’s anorexia battle and the heartbreaking fears she would ‘die in the night’
- Desperate Sligo woman fears husband will die without delayed cancer drug promised months ago by Government
- Wife's heartbreaking poem tells tale of husband's battle with cancer as she strives to raise awareness
- Grandfather of children whose parents died after heartbreaking photo in hospital bed reveals he has been battling cancer too
- Wife's tribute to 'amazing husband and father' after motorway death
- Forty years of heartbreak
Wife receives heartbreaking card from husband hours after he dies have 793 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 28, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.