DONALD Trump is calling on his supporters to pick the new logo for America’s first Space Force – as he attempts to boldly go where no President has gone before.
After detailed plans for the creation of a sixth branch of the US military were unveiled, the Republican’s campaign team sent out an email asking people to vote on its new logo.
However, social media users have been quick to mock the idea of a new military space branch – and Russia and even Luke Skywalker have got in on the act.
The email featured six different designs made to look like mission patches. One of which looked almost identical to NASA’S official logo.
Rockets and other spaceships adorn the other five logos. One even seems to imply that the Space Force is going to the red planet with the phrase “Mars awaits.”
Trump 2020 re-election campaign manager Brad Parscale emailed supporters on Tuesday asking them to vote on a logo which will adorn merchandise to be sold off later.
“President Trump wants a SPACE FORCE – a groundbreaking endeavour for the future of America and the final frontier,” read the email from the Trump campaign.
“As a way to celebrate President Trump’s huge announcement, our campaign will be selling a new line of gear.”
But many people believe the plan will never get off the ground and the Russian Embassy in the US was quick to the post the logo of its existing space unit.
To make things worse, Star Wars actor Mark Hamil was among those taking aim at the new force.
He Tweeted: “For those of you worried that SPACE FORCE is the leaked title of #EpIX… Relax!” he wrote, referring to the upcoming “Stars Wars” move. “Turns out it’s just lie #3,253.”
On Thursday, Vice President Mike Pence has plans to create the new Space Force saying it was needed to ensure America’s dominance in space amid heightened competition and threats from China and Russia.
He added that while space was once peaceful and uncontested, it is now crowded and adversarial.
The new arm of the US military will not be built entirely from scratch but come from pre-existing elements.
He said: ”The Space Force will not be built from scratch. This is a critical step towards establishing the Space Force as the sixth branch of our armed forces.”
President Donald Trump has called for a “separate but equal” space force.
Defence Secretary Jim Mattis has endorsed plans to reorganise the military’s space warfighting forces and create a new command, but has previously opposed launching an expensive new service.
Any proposal to create a new service would require congressional action.
In June at a meeting of the National Space Council at the White House he said: “Our destiny beyond the Earth is not only a matter of national identity but a matter of national security.”
“It is not enough to merely have an American presence in space. We must have American dominance in space.
“I’m hereby directing the Department of Defence and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a space force as the sixth branch of the armed forces.”
At the time, Mr Trump said Space Force would be “separate but equal” to the Air Force.
What is the new Space Force?
Precise details are currently thin on the ground but in essence it is design to be a military force capable of fighting in space.
The Pentagon and US Department of Defence have been tasked with creating the new force to ensure what Trump called “American dominance” of space.
It will be the sixth branch of the US armed forces — alongside the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard.
Trump said he wants to counter Russian and Chinese developments in space tech.
And he said he wants US agencies to ”implement a state-of-the-art framework for space traffic management”.
Announcing the decision on June, 18 2018, Trump said: “We are going to have the Air Force, but we are going to have the Space Force — separate but equal.”
The United States already has some space fighting infrastructure and much of its military set-up has input from space technology — from long-range missiles to satellite tracking.
The Colorado-based Air Force Space Command in 1982 includes more than 36,000 personnel around the world that provide space and cyber capabilities for the Defense Department.
The Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles Air Force Base in California, designs, buys and oversees most of the Pentagon’s space systems.
Trump said in the East Room of the White House: “My administration is reclaiming America’s heritage as the world’s greatest spacefaring nation.
“The essence of the American character is to explore new horizons and to tame new frontiers.”
‘CAN’T GET AWAY WITH IT’
Family of girl shoved off 60ft bridge says ‘pal’ should be CHARGED
Rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine faces jail for posting sick sex act video of girl, 13
‘LOCK THE DOORS’
Canada shooting leaves at least four dead as city is placed on lockdown
dubai jail hell
Brit mum caged in Dubai with daughter for drinking glass of wine on plane
THEY’RE LOVIN’ IT!
Outrageous moment couple ‘have sex’ while ordering food at McDonald’s
SENT TO HELL
Paedos who raped and killed boy, 10, are shot and hung from cranes in Yemen
Mr Trump backed his Vice President after he had finished speaking with a message on Twitter that read: “Space Force all the way!”
Previously, Mr Mattis had disapproved of creating a sixth branch of the military.
Mattis wrote in a letter to the House and Senate armed services committees: “I oppose the creation of a new military service and additional organisational layers at a time when we are focused on reducing overhead and integrating joint war-fighting efforts.”
- Donald Trump faces House voting down his veto of Defense Act less than 24 hours after giving up his veto of COVID relief in humiliating display of his lame duck status
- Will Biden Pump the Brakes on Trump’s Moon Race?
- Top 15 MAGA Moments for President Donald Trump in 2020
- 2020 Roundup: President Donald Trump’s Space Legacy Will Last for Light-Years
- House votes to override Donald Trump's veto of Defense bill he refused to sign because it renames Confederate bases and doesn't remove big tech's Section 230 protections - in first such rebuke of his presidency
- Congress Reconvenes Following Siege of Pro-Trump Mob: Live Updates
- Georgia election official systematically debunks 'fantastical' election fraud claims by Trump and accuses the President and his of 'intentionally misleading the people of the United States'
- Trump supporters storm Congress as Pence and lawmakers run for safety: Mob smashes through police barriers and wall of tear gas to stop Biden's victory being certified - after President told them to march on the Capitol to 'stop the steal'
- Trump calls his Capitol mob 'GREAT PATRIOTS' and claims they rioted because election was 'viciously stolen' - then tells them 'Go home with love. Remember this day forever!' as Twitter locks his account for 12 hours
- House Will Move to Impeach Trump: Live Updates
- 'I won't betray my oath': Pence publicly DEFIES Trump's demand to block Biden's confirmation after President declares war on his own 'weak' party at DC rally
- Pro-Trump Mob Storms Capitol, Halting Electoral Vote Count: Live Updates
Trump launches public vote to find perfect ‘Space Force’ logo – but Russia immediately mocks it have 1271 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 10, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.