By Matt Spetalnick and David BrunnstromWASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump abruptly canceled his top diplomat’s planned trip to North Korea on Friday, publicly acknowledging for the first time that his effort to get Pyongyang to denuclearize had stalled since his summit with the North’s leader.Trump partly blamed China for the lack of progress with North Korea and suggested that talks with Pyongyang, led so far by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, could be on hold until after Washington resolved its bitter trade dispute with Beijing.It was a dramatic shift of tone for Trump, who had previously hailed his June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as a success and said the North Korean nuclear threat was over, despite no real sign Pyongyang was willing to give up its nuclear weapons.But Trump still kept the door open to a second summit with Kim, with whom the president recently said he has “great chemistry.””I have asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo not to go to North Korea, at this time, because I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” Trump wrote on Twitter.The North Korean mission to the… Read full this story
- Pompeo Cites ‘Good Trip’ to North Korea and Progress on a Deal
- Pompeo Trip to North Korea Yields New Summit Meeting, South Korea Says
- Trump, North Korean leader to hold 2nd summit
- Plan for Taliban Meeting Latest Bold Trump Gamble to Unravel
Trump cancels Pompeo's trip to North Korea over stalled nuclear diplomacy have 269 words, post on www.metro.us at August 25, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.