Dao Thi Tiec, 85, who lives near the Truc Bach Lake in Hanoi, told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur (DPA; German Press Agency) last October that she vividly remembers the day he was captured. It was in 1967, a time when the U.S. had expanded the war to North Vietnam with fierce bombing raids, forcing families like Tiec to send their children to evacuate to the countryside. On October 26, 1967, she heard that an American plane had been shot down and crashed into a nearby power plant. Soldiers and militia quickly captured the pilot who’d ejected and landed in the Truc Bach Lake. Tiec ran outside, right in time to see security forces escorting the American pilot. He looked very tall, she recalled. “I was glad to be able to witness that scene after so many people were killed by American bombs,” she said. The American pilot, U.S. Navy Captain John McCain, was imprisoned for more than five years at the Hoa Lo Prison in Hanoi. After he was freed, McCain began his political career at home, becoming a U.S. House of Representative, Senator and Presidential Candidate. Vietnam remembers him as a person who worked hard to normalize U.S.-Vietnam bilateral ties…. Read full this story
- Tributes and Remembrances Roll in for John McCain
- John McCain Is A Man Of (A) Principle
- Speeches and Scenes From John McCain’s Memorial in Washington
- President Trump signs defense authorization bill, doesn't say John McCain's name
- Trump Rages at Republicans as John McCain Kills Obamacare Repeal Bill
- Senator John McCain's Passing Brings a Wave of Emotion to Social Media
- Sarah Palin Mourns Senator John McCain: 'We Lost an American Original'
- President Donald Trump Expresses 'Deepest Sympathies' Over Senator John McCain's Passing
- I Don't Want To Hear Another Fucking Word About John McCain Unless He Dies Or Actually Does Something Useful For Once
- Senator John McCain's Wife Cindy Issues Statement Following Husband’s Passing: ‘My Heart Is Broken’
John McCain, strong supporter of close Vietnam-U.S. ties have 335 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at August 26, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.