Japan and Sri Lanka have agreed to further enhance maritime security cooperation in the Indian Ocean. The understanding was reached during a meeting between the visiting Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera and Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena. Japan has also pledged assistance to develop Sri Lanka’s maritime security. This is the first-ever visit by a Japanese Defense Minister to Sri Lanka.
— Ruwan Wijewardene (@RWijewardene) August 21, 2018
The visiting Japanese Minister is also scheduled to visit Chinese-built and operated Hambantota Port in Southern Sri Lanka as well as the proposed new port in Trincomalee which is to be developed with Japanese and Indian assistance.
Meanwhile, the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force ship Ikazuchi has also arrived at Trincomalee Harbor. The ship is on a three-day official visit to Sri Lanka.
Japanese naval ship “Ikazuchi” arrived at the Trincomalee port in #SriLanka yesterday for a three-day goodwill visit. The ship belongs to Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force, was welcomed in accordance with naval traditions on arrival. pic.twitter.com/gTDDbrfIxu
— Prassanata (@Prsnnta) August 21, 2018
The Mission Commander of the ship Captain Royoko Azuma, along with other officers, paid a courtesy call on Commander Eastern Naval Area, Rear Admiral Sumith Weerasinghe at the Eastern Naval Command Headquarters and held cordial discussions focusing on enhancing bilateral cooperation, a statement from the Sri Lankan Navy read.
During the three-day stay, the ship’s crew is scheduled to take part in various activities to enhance mutual cooperation between the Japanese and Sri Lankan Navies.
- Maritime security cooperation would reduce risks of confrontation in the South China Sea
- Việt Nam, Sri Lanka agree to boost bilateral ties
- US bans Sri Lanka army chief over war crimes
- Cash-strapped Pakistan offers USD 50 million credit line to Sri Lanka for defence
- Sri Lanka says it scrapped port deal as Indian firm rejected terms
- Sri Lanka scraps 2nd deal, to re-acquire IOC's oil tanks
- Rajapaksa siblings united; will take Sri Lanka forward: Gotabaya Rajpaksa
- Việt Nam, Sri Lanka aim to bring trade to $1 billion
- Foreign Office resists release of files on support for UK mercenaries in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka now clears Indian investment at another Colombo Port terminal
- Sri Lanka Finds Deal to Hand China Port for 99 Years Actually Runs Nearly 200
- Imran Khan pitches economic corridor to Sri Lanka
Japan, Sri Lanka Agree to Boost Maritime Security Cooperation have 424 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 21, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.