The amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions in the city is estimated to be 38.5 million tons per year, making up about 16 per cent of the country’s total. Of the amount, CO2 emissions from automotive exhaust account for 45 percent. Air pollution, mostly caused by automobiles and motorbikes, has worsened in HCM City in recent years. (Photo for illustration) With such alarming figures, the city is seeking ways to urgently reduce CO2 emissions, particularly from automobiles and motorbikes. In 2010, the city had 4.5 million motorbikes and 420,000 cars, but last year, the figure was 7.5 million motorbikes and 790,000 cars. By 2020, the number of vehicles is expected tol surge by 30 per cent, with nearly nine million motorbikes and 800,000 cars. Both cars and motorbikes discharge carbon monoxide (CO), CO2, nitrogen oxide (NOx) and sulphur oxide (SOx) into the atmosphere through exhaust pipes, flue gas stacks, and propeller nozzles. To minimise pollution, the Ministry of Transport’s Vietnam Register has proposed raising the emission standard for cars to level 2. Specifically, the department has proposed reducing the CO emissions ratio for vehicles using gasoline from 4.5 (level 1) to 3.5 (level 2), and HC (hydrocarbon concentration) from 1,200… Read full this story
- City seeks ways to increase women, minority firefighters
- Major Progress: Cutting Black Carbon and Lowering CO2 Emissions in Transport, Other Sectors
- League City seeks grant to transform park
- Charities pitch donors for share of Greater Twin Cities United Way money
- Solar, wind helping to cut CO2 emissions, government says
- GM is requesting a zero-emissions vehicle sales mandate
- Authorities seek to curb ginseng plant thefts in Indiana
- City exploring ways to help homeless living in parked RVs — including a place to park
- Big E responds to Agawam traffic complaints: 'We are continually seeking ways to make improvements'
- Greater Twin Cities United Way 'giving communities' meld personal passions with philanthropy
HCM City seeks ways to curb CO2 emissions from vehicles have 308 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at October 26, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.