ACCRA/GENEVA (Reuters) – Former United Nations Secretary-General and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Kofi Annan died on Saturday at the age of 80, his foundation said.Annan, a Ghanaian national, died in hospital in Bern, Switzerland, in the early hours, his close associates said.In Geneva, the Kofi Annan Foundation announced his peaceful death with “immense sadness” after a short undisclosed illness, saying he was surrounded in his last days by his second wife Nane and children Ama, Kojo and Nina.Annan served two terms as U.N. Secretary-General in New York from 1997-2006 and retired to live in a Swiss village in the Geneva countryside. His 10-year-old foundation promotes good governance and transformation of African agriculture.”In many ways, Kofi Annan was the United Nations. He rose through the ranks to lead the organization into the new millennium with matchless dignity and determination,” U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, whom Annan had chosen to head the U.N. refugee agency, said in a statement. As head of U.N. peacekeeping operations, Annan was criticized for the world body’s failure to halt the genocide in Rwanda in the 1990s. As U.N. boss he was linked to peace efforts to reunite the divided island of Cyprus, submitting a reunification blueprint which… Read full this story
- Nobel peace prize goes to Liu Xiaobo
- Nobel peace prize winners urge Australia to sign treaty banning nuclear weapons
- Nobel peace prize goes to campaigners against sexual violence
- Nobel peace prize 2017: who are the likely nominees?
- Protests against Ethiopia's Nobel peace prize PM turn deadly
- Outrage as anti-immigration politician bids for Nobel peace committee seat
- China: Nominating Hong Kong Protesters for Nobel Peace Prize Is ‘Advocating Violence’
- Greta Thunberg nominated for Nobel peace prize
- Malcolm Turnbull chided for 'silly' snub to Nobel peace prize-winning group
- This is how China treats the wife of a Nobel peace prize winner
Former U.N. chief and Nobel peace laureate Kofi Annan dies aged 80 have 324 words, post on www.metro.us at August 18, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.