SINGAPORE – Anadolu Agency
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, ASEAN Secretary-General Dato Lim Jock Hoi, and Singaporean Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan, who is ASEAN’s 2018 term chairman, discussed future steps and areas of cooperation, said the sources,
The trilateral meeting follows last year’s establishment of a sectoral dialogue partnership between Ankara and ASEAN countries.
The discussion was held in line with the framework of the 51st ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting as part of Turkey’s goal to deepen relations with international organizations. Çavuşoğlu is also expected to hold bilateral meetings with his counterparts from other participating countries.
“We discussed Turkish-Indonesian cooperation in the fields of the economy, defense industry, and combating terrorism, as well as regional issues including the situation of Rohingya Muslims with Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi,” Çavuşoğlu wrote on his official Twitter account after a bilateral meeting with his Indonesian counterpart.
Çavuşoğlu’s bilateral meeting with Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh was postponed due to a schedule change. They will meet another day on the sidelines of the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ meeting.
The four-day meeting will see the participation of foreign ministers and top diplomats from 30 countries, including the ASEAN member states: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Ankara formed ties with ASEAN in 1999 and attended its first summit in 2013. Also, Turkey got observer status in ASEAN’s multinational police force in 2014 and became a sectoral dialogue partner at last year’s ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in the Philippines.
According to the Turkish Foreign Ministry, Ankara’s “ultimate objective” for developing its relations with ASEAN is to achieve dialogue partnership.
- Turkey says 6 citizens held in Libya have been freed
- Turkey’s Erdogan meets head of Libya’s UN-supported gov’t
- China-ASEAN expo seminar held to promote investment in Indonesia
- ASEAN forum talks social protection for vulnerable children
- Turkey’s Erdogan to meet Trump in Washington next week
- ASEAN+3 promote social welfare, development
- India firms up moves against Turkey cosying up to Pakistan
- Vietnamese Deputy PM meets with top diplomats of Japan, Iran
- What's Next for Syria? Russia Is Ready to Fight, Iran Wants U.S. Out, and Turkey Says No to New Battle
- Meeting stresses media’s role in addressing gender inequality