Pant one of three changes for India
India have played ‘musical chairs’ this series, to coin a phrase used by our cricket correspondent Scyld Berry in his preview piece this morning. And why change a habit of a lifetime in Nottingham? Three switches have been made in total, fit-again seamer Jasprit Bumrah in for spinner Kuldeep Yadav, Shikhar Dhawan back to open instead of Murali Vijay and wicketkeeper Pant makes his debut.
England win toss and bowl first
Root makes call to bowl first on a ‘furry wicket’, according to Michael Vaughan.
Root: “There is a nice covering of grass on this pitch and our seamers have been doing extremely well. I think it’s a great opportunity for this team to do something special, if we play to potential.”
Rishabh Pant handed Test cap
As expected, Virat Kohli has changed things up again for India and hands Rishabh Pant his first Test cap.
Pant has only played 23 first-class matches and his international experience is limited to four T20s.
Root faces challenge to impose authority on team
Paul Hayward says that Joe Root has a dilemma of stamping his mark on England while under pressure to deliver a series victory.
In Australia at the Ashes, it was popular to ask when this would become “Joe’s team.” In a year, people said, Root would have kicked out the carousers and shaped this side in his image. But the Stokes saga has stalked him ever since England took off for Brisbane en route to a 4-0 pasting. Now, after England’s wins in Birmingham and at Lord’s, pragmatism shines brighter than principles.
Stokes returns to his day job
Morning all and welcome to coverage of day one of the third Test at Trent Bridge where the attention will be heavily weighted in Ben Stokes’ direction.
Stokes was recalled into the England team at the expense of Lord’s match-of-the-match Sam Curran yesterday just four days after being cleared of affray at Bristol Crown Court.
Joe Root described the switch as ”probably one of the most difficult selections” he has been part of as Test captain, but added Stokes is confident he is mentally ready to play again.
Stokes missed the Lord’s victory last week which saw England move 2-0 up in the series with three to play because of his court date.
“He (Stokes) told me he’s desperate to get out there, wants to put in performances and concentrate on his cricket now,” Root said yesterday.
“He felt he was ready to play. We obviously assessed his fitness as well, over the course of the two days.”
Stokes in the only change for England, while India, who have preferred to mix things up in the last two Tests, have yet to firm up their side.
England: JE Root (captain), AN Cook, KK Jennings, OJD Pope, JM Bairstow (wkt), BA Stokes, JC Buttler, CR Woakes, AU Rashid, SCJ Broad, JM Anderson
India (possible): V Kohli (captain), M Vijay, KL Rahul, C Pujara, A Rahane, R Pant (wkt), H Pandya, R Ashwin, I Sharma, M Shami, J Bumrah
- Rohit Sharma’s fine start as Test opener is good news for India
- Arsenal vs Manchester United live stream: how to watch FA Cup football from anywhere
- Super Bowl 2019 live stream: how to watch Patriots vs Rams online for free without commercials
- Super Bowl 2019 live stream: how to watch Patriots vs Rams online for free and without commercials
- Super Bowl 2019 live stream: how to watch Patriots vs Rams online free and without commercials
- Barcelona vs Manchester United live stream: how to watch today's Champions League online from anywhere
- Senior SA players should give back to the game: Philander
- OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition souped up with 10GB of RAM, orange trim and even faster charging
- OnePlus and McLaren team up for special-edition 6T phone: 10GB of RAM, faster charging and orange looks
- McLaren-inspired OnePlus 6T features 10GB of RAM, faster charging and orange looks
- Special OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition has fast Warp Charge, 10GB of RAM and orange details
- Super Bowl 2019 live stream: how to watch online from anywhere in the world
England vs India, third Test, day one have 756 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at August 18, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.