When just 550 or so people from war-ravaged Yemen arrived over several months in South Korea, the reaction was uncompromising AFP/Ed JONES More than a million migrants arrived in Germany after its borders were opened in 2015 to asylum-seekers – many fleeing war – which deeply divided the country and its neighbours. And the United States, by far the world’s most popular destination for migrants, detains thousands of illegal arrivals at its border with Mexico every month. President Trump has vowed to build a wall to keep them out of the country. But when just 550 or so people from war-ravaged Yemen arrived over several months in South Korea, the reaction was uncompromising. “Is the government crazy? These are Muslims who will rape our daughters!” was one of the top comments, liked by thousands, on Naver, the country’s top Internet portal. Hundreds protested in Seoul last month urging authorities to “kick out fake refugees” while nearly 700,000 – a record – signed a petition on the presidential website calling for tightening what are already some of the world’s toughest refugee laws. “Europe may have historical baggage with countries (former colonies) … but South Korea has no such moral obligation,” the… Read full this story
- Trump Reportedly Preparing to Sign Another Directive Fucking Over Asylum Seekers
- Now the Waiting Begins for LGBTQ Asylum-Seekers from the Migrant Caravan
- Jeff Sessions Flirting With Idea of Indefinite Detention for Asylum Seekers
- Trump Administration Considers Implementing a Fee for Asylum Seekers
- Trump Reportedly Considering Travel Ban-Style Proposal to Block Asylum-Seekers at U.S.-Mexico Border
- The Trump Administration Keeps Attacking the Rights of Asylum-Seekers
- Asylum seekers being taught local Yorkshire lingo such as 'ey up' & 'ta love'
- South Korea to launch hiking trails for visitors in the de-militarised zone
- South Korea confirms two new African swine fever cases, now 13 in all as disease spreads
- South Korea confirms 13th case of African swine fever
Yemeni asylum seekers spark backlash in South Korea have 325 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at July 11, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.