According to the commander, in the coming days additional backup is set to be deployed as the conflict has moved toward the southwest region of the country, Reuters reported.
The placement of the Russian-made Pantsir S1 is intended “to renew the air defense system against Israel in the first degree,” Reuters reported the commander as saying.
Last month, there was a risk of escalation of the conflict after Israel launched a massive airstrike against what it said were 60 “Iranian” military targets in Syria, calling the measure retaliation for the firing of nearly two dozen rockets into the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
Tel Aviv has accused Tehran of expanding its military presence in Syria as a means to threaten and stage attacks against Israel. Iran has denied that it has an extensive military presence in Syria, saying its contingent is limited to military advisers, who are in the country to help the Syrian army in its ongoing fight against terrorism. The Iranian mission has the approval of Syria’s internationally recognized government.
After the incident in May, the Israeli forces launched unexpected large-scale military drills in the Golan Heights on June 10.
Israel occupied the Golan Heights, a region which is located between the two countries, in the 1967 Six-Day War with Syria and annexed the territory in 1981. The international community has not recognized the Israeli annexation, calling the decision to impose Israeli “laws, jurisdiction and administration” over the territory “null and void and without international legal effect.”
- Iran's Top Military Commander to Assad: Iran Ready to Boost Syria's Defense Capabilities
- Syrian missile explodes near Israeli nuclear reactor, Israel retaliates
- China Spy Plane Detected Near Taiwan Was on Anti-Submarine Mission: Analyst
- US, Indonesia agree to enhance military, maritime security ties
- ‘Just Like We Did in Syria’: Turkey to Build New Base in Iraqi Kurdistan Amid Anti-PKK Offensive
- Beijing Promises Aircraft Carriers to Drill ‘Regularly’ as Shandong Returns From South China Sea Ops
- China Shows Off Army, Navy Landing Capabilities After U.S. Senators Visit Taiwan
- The Three Potential Ways Washington is Likely to End Its Syrian Adventure
- Exclusive: Inside the Military's Secret Undercover Army
- 'He knew something': The 1962 flight of Army Rangers that vanished into thin air
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Biden detours on infrastructure ahead of June vote
- Russia Fires Supersonic Anti-Ship Cruise Missile in 'Signal to NATO'
Syrian Army Enhancing Anti-Aircraft Defenses on Golan Heights – Reports have 392 words, post on sputniknews.com at June 12, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.