In Saturday’s interview with Die Welt newspaper, Austrian Defense Minister Mario Kunasek called for the reinforcement of the EU Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex) with troops and police in a bid to bolster border security.
The minister suggested deploying Frontex employees along the external borders of the Balkan states, Italy, and Greece as well as in “African countries with the consent of the respective state.”
In a radio interview on June 23, Austria’s EU Minister Gernot Blümel came up with the idea of setting up migrant reception centers, and using them to determine whether the immigrants may seek asylum in the bloc.
He made the statement the same day Austrian Vice Chancellor Heinz-Christian Strache warned of a potential chain reaction across Europe, should Germany shut its borders. ”That’s the logical consequence, and we are prepared for it and will similarly protect our borders,” Strache said in a TV interview.
These remarks came ahead of Sunday’s emergency “mini-summit” on migration, which is expected to bring together EU leaders in Brussels to resolve disagreements over the migration situation in Europe. The informal meeting between top European officials will be held in the run-up to a full European summit.
Migration disputes have intensified in Europe recently amid Angela Merkel’s standoff with her interior minister, Horst Seehofer, over whether to turn away asylum-seekers at Germany’s borders, and the hardline migration policy adopted by Italy’s new right-wing government, which has barred migrant rescue vessels from its ports.
- Canada attacks Trump's plan to deploy troops at joint border
- Insecurity: Makinde urges military to deploy troops to Oyo border towns
- Kurdish-Run Afrin Urges Damascus to Deploy Troops Along Turkish Border - Reports
- GAO: Pentagon didn't fully evaluate costs, readiness effects of deploying troops to border
- Biden to Deploy FEMA at the Border Amid Child-Migrant Surge
- No let-up in troops at Pak border after ceasefire: Army
- Firmly safeguarding national border
- Former EU leaders call for democratic safeguards in new tech rules
- Russia deploys troops to Nagorno-Karabakh after ceasefire deal announced
- Joe Biden Faces Increasing Pressure As Republicans Round on Border 'Crisis'
- Trump says sending 'armed soldiers' to US-Mexico border
- Full statement by Rajnath Singh on Indo-China border row
Austria Calls for Deploying Troops to Safeguard EU Borders from Immigrants have 369 words, post on sputniknews.com at June 24, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.