President Tran Dai Quang (R) meets with Japanese Emperor Akihito on May 30 (Photo: VNA)
The President was quoted by the Vietnam News Agency as telling the meeting with the royal couple that the Vietnamese Government and people always attach much importance to relations with Japan.
He hopes that his State visit will open up a new development phase in Vietnam-Japan ties in a more intensive and effective manner, bringing practical benefits to the people of both countries and for regional and global peace, stability, cooperation, and development.
He and his spouse spoke of the impression made by the royal couple’s visit to Vietnam in 2017, adding that it deepened mutual trust and understanding between the two countries’ people and contributed to elevating bilateral ties to new heights.
They invited members of the Japanese Imperial Family to visit Vietnam at a suitable time.
For their part, the royal couple thanked President Quang and his spouse for giving them a warm welcome during their visit to Vietnam last year. They affirmed that they treasure Vietnam-Japan cooperation and friendship and will do their utmost to further develop ties.
Emperor Akihito underlined that cultural and people-to-people exchanges, particularly as the two countries are celebrating the 45th anniversary of diplomatic relations this year, are important for the development of bilateral ties as they serve as a boost to mutual trust and understanding.
Earlier on the same day, the royal couple hosted an official welcome ceremony for President Quang and his spouse. President Quang is the first foreign State leader to pay a State visit to Japan this year.
He is also scheduled to meet with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
- President greets Japanese Emperor, Empress
- President greets Japanese Emperor, Empress - Politics & Laws - Vietnam News Politics, Business, Economy, Society, Life, Sports
- Japanese Emperor, Empress wrap up Vietnam visit DTiNews
- Japanese Emperor praises rapid development of Vietnam-Japan relation
- Japanese Emperor and Empress begin State visit to Vietnam
- First activities of Japanese Emperor, Empress in Hanoi
- Welcoming ceremony for Japanese Emperor in Hanoi
- Vietnam welcomes Japanese Emperor, Empress in Hanoi (photos)
- State President met with Japanese Emperor, Empress