House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Thursday that Democrats would raise taxes if they win the 2018 midterm elections.
Or, as she put it: tax cuts will be “revised.”
“The tax bill is a dark cloud over our children’s future,” the California Democrat said Thursday at the Peterson Foundation Fiscal Summit in Washington. “We want to revisit in a way that puts the middle class first and reduces the debt.”
Pelosi said she would seek to negotiate a bipartisan extension of the tax bill’s middle-class tax cuts for individuals, which expire in 2026. The new tax bill would be one that “promotes growth, generates jobs and reduces the deficit,” she said.
Pelosi didn’t say whether she would seek to raise the corporate rate — which was cut to 21 percent from 35 percent — and didn’t specify other tax breaks she would seek to end.
Recently, Pelosi confirmed that she intends to return to the Speaker’s chair if Democrats win the House back in the November elections. She was the first female Speaker of the House from 2007 to 2011, but led her party to historic defeat after she pushed through the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, in 2010.
Pelosi is characterizing Democrats’ current tax plan as a way to reduce the federal deficit. However, federal deficits exploded on her watch as Speaker, even though she promised “no new deficit spending.” The national debt also rose $5 trillion during that period, thanks largely to Democrats’ heavy spending.
Joel B. Pollak is Senior Editor-at-Large at Breitbart News. He was named to Forward’s 50 “most influential” Jews in 2017. He is the co-author of How Trump Won: The Inside Story of a Revolution, which is available from Regnery. Follow him on Twitter at @joelpollak.
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Justices rule Manhattan prosecutor, but not Congress, can have Trump tax records
- Rulings leave Trump tax simmering
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Argentum - All eyes on Florida as daily COVID-19 cases hit 15K
- Soros Doubles 2016 Election Spending, Sends $40 Million to Super PAC
- Black lawmakers rally behind Engel in primary fight
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Argentum - In Rose Garden, Trump launches anti-Biden screed
- Enhanced unemployment insurance likely to expire during COVID-19 aid talks
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump and the virus-era China ban that isn't
- Congress set for showdown on coronavirus relief legislation
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Argentum - Mask mandates, restrictions issued as COVID-19 spreads
- U.S. Supreme Court lets prosecutor but not Congress obtain Trump financial records
- US Supreme Court lets prosecutor but not Congress obtain Donald Trump's financial records
Nancy Pelosi: We’re Raising Taxes When We Win have 444 words, post on www.breitbart.com at May 11, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.