Police have arrested a second person in connection with the alleged rape of a 17-year-old girl in India last year.
The case, along with the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl, has brought people on to the streets in mass demonstrations.
A woman called Shashi Singh was arrested on Sunday, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) spokesman RK Gaur said.
It follows the arrest, on Friday, of politician Kuldeep Singh Sengar, from Uttar Pradesh state, who has been accused of raping the 17-year-old.
The girl’s family, who tried unsuccessfully for nearly a year to get police to register their case, claimed Singh had taken their daughter to see Sengar, and allegedly stood guard while he raped her.
Police only brought the case after the girl tried to burn herself alive outside the state leader’s residence.
Her father, who had been in police custody, died the next day from injuries he sustained in an alleged beating.
The rape and murder of the eight-year-old in Jammu and Kashmir state in January made national headlines.
The child was kidnapped, drugged and repeatedly raped over five days, including inside a Hindu temple, before being strangled and beaten with a rock.
Communal tensions have been heightened by the crime.
Although Jammu and Kashmir is India’s only Muslim-majority state, the Jammu region in the south, where the crime took place, is Hindu-dominated.
Muslim activists, who see the case as a crime against their community, have demanded action.
But some right-wing Hindu groups have claimed the accused were unfairly charged.
Eight people – all Hindus – have been arrested over the killing, including four police officers and a minor.
In a country where 40,000 rape cases are reported every year, campaigners say victims are reluctant to go to the police.
Prime minister Narendra Modi has promised justice for the victims, while India’s women’s minister has called for the death penalty for child rapists.
- Newly married Christian man beaten to death in 'honour killing' that shocks southern India
- What is the Magnitsky Act and how does it relate to a British anti-corruption campaigner's arrest in Spain?
- British businessman and Putin critic Bill Browder briefly detained in Spain after Russia issues arrest warrant
- South Africa: Court Postpones Case Against Five Men Accused of Raping Woman, Setting Her and Friend On Fire
- Under current Indian government, religious minority communities feel increasingly vulnerable: US report
- Dave Grohl wrote a song for David Bowie
- 15-year-old boy stabbed to death in Wolverhampton
- Babchenko and Browder's bizarre tales, whatever the truth, will not help tensions between Russia and the West
- Why did anti-Putin journalist Arkady Babchenko fake his own death and reappear at press conference?
- Africa: Gender Pay Gap Could Cost World $160 Trillion
- Africa: Speak More Than One Language? This Is What It Does to Your Brain.
- South Africa: PE Municipal Workers Threaten to Intensify Strike
Woman arrested in connection with rape of teenager in India have 467 words, post on news.sky.com at April 15, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.