TOKYO/KUALA LUMPUR – Japanese scientists are encouraging Southeast Asia’s palm oil producers to chop down trees to help save forests.Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences and IHI Enviro Corp., a subsidiary of IHI Corp., have developed a way to process scrapped palm trees into methane gas and wood pellets to be sold as feedstock to power generators. The system intends to help palm companies earn income while waiting for new trees to mature and curb their reliance on expanding plantations to boost output.Concerns about palm oil’s environmental impact have prompted the European Union to propose restricting its use in renewable fuels after 2020. Farmers in Malaysia and Indonesia, which account for 85 percent of supply, have been accused of illegally using slash-and-burn methods to clear land for plantations, which destroys rain forests. Producers typically need to replant oil palms after a couple of decades when they become unproductive and plant small areas slowly because they won’t get any revenue from those trees for three to five years.“Our project is aimed at reducing the negative impact on the environment of the palm oil industry, and making it sustainable,” Akihiko Kosugi, project leader at JIRCAS’s biological resources division, said in an… Read full this story
- Ecologically ‘disastrous’ palm oil here to stay, and better than alternatives, experts say
- Food giants’ claims about palm oil not damaging the rainforest are 'problematic'
- EU strikes deal on 32% renewable energy target and palm oil ban after all-night session
- Palm oil to be phased out in EU by 2030
- Palm oil 'decimating' wildlife, solutions elusive: report
- RSPO to Dive Into Palm Oil Giant Wilmar Deforestation Link
- New EU palm oil rule seen setting up clash
- Lower palm oil and rubber prices drag down Sime Darby Plantation's third quarter profit
- Commodity Chemicals Market 2018 Global Industry Sales, Supply, Consumption, Demand, Analysis and Forecasts to 2025
- Global Decorative Wall Murals 2018 Industry Trends, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis & Forecast to 2025
Japanese scientists look to help palm oil industry tap green energy demand have 336 words, post on www.japantimes.co.jp at April 19, 2018. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.