A former player was taken into custody in relation to social media posts. Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports
A former Arizona State football player was taken into custody on Friday after police say he made threats toward students and staff at the university.
According to arrest records obtained by Jason Pohl of the Arizona Republic, Edward “Robbie” Robinson was arrested on Friday evening after he made “terroristic threats” on social media that he wanted to purchase a gun so he could “spray the stadium” and shoot people. His bond was set at $50,000.
An alert was issued for the Arizona State campus on Friday after police became aware of the threats. Robinson, who has not been enrolled at the school for over a year, was booked on suspicion of terroristic threats, disruption of an educational institution and possession of marijuana.
One in a series of tweets from the Twitter account Robinson was believed to be using appeared to show a screenshot of a text message he received from a police officer who expressed concern over the things he was saying.
Robinson — or whoever was using the account — also expressed frustration with former Arizona State coach Todd Graham. One tweet said people were trying to have him arrested because “these crackers done programmed society so bad that if you’re unapologetically black, you’re a threat.”
Threats of this nature are being taken even more seriously in the wake of the latest mass shooting, which left 17 people dead at a high school in Parkland, Fla. Former NFL offensive lineman Jonathan Martin was also taken into custody on Friday after a disturbing threat was posted on his Twitter account.
- Jayden Daniels, Arizona State upset No. 6 Oregon 31-28
- Capstone Develops New On-Campus Mixed-Use Student Housing Community at Arizona State University Polytechnic Campus
- No. 6 Oregon exits College Football Playoff debate after Arizona State pulls off upset
- Harry’s punt return TD pulls Arizona State past USC 38-35
- Arizona State Upsets No. 6 Oregon To Shake Up College Football Playoff Possibilities
- Arizona State testing No. 6 Oregon as Tempe tilt hits halftime
- Arizona State rallies in fourth to beat rival Arizona 41-40
- Teen charged with making threat against high school
- Colorado knocks off Arizona State 97-85 in Pac-12 tourney
- Edwards, Arizona State overpower Central Connecticut