CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Veteran crew chief Darian Grubb will lead rookie William Byron when he steps up to NASCAR’s top level next season with Hendrick Motorsports.
Grubb will be crew chief for Byron and the No. 24 Chevrolet Camaro team. Byron will make his Cup Series debut in 2018 and compete for rookie of the year.
Grubb led Tony Stewart to the 2011 Cup Series championship and has 23 Cup wins, third among active full-time crew chiefs.
The Hendrick pairings next season will be: Chase Elliott with crew chief Alan Gustafson, seven-time champions Chad Knaus and Jimmie Johnson, and Greg Ives leading Alex Bowman.
EARNHARDT JR.: Praises marriage, team owner Rick Hendrick
Grubb originally joined Hendrick Motorsports in January 2003 and was lead race engineer for Johnson until 2006. He’s been an interim crew chief for Johnson, crew chief for Casey Mears and engineering manager for part of the Hendrick operation.
He left in 2009 to crew chief Stewart, then went to Joe Gibbs Racing after three seasons. Grubb rejoined Hendrick in 2016 to oversee race car manufacturing as vehicle production director. He was recently promoted to director of competition systems.
PHOTOS: TOP SHOTS OF THE 2017 NASCAR CUP SEASON
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- How a video game developed NASCAR's newest rookie superstar
- NASCAR 06: Total Team Control Q&A
- NASCAR 06: Total Team Control Hands-On Preview
- NASCAR Heat 4 review: Set up for a big win
- E3 2001 Preshow Report: NASCAR Heat 2001 Season
- E3 2001 Preshow Report: NASCAR Heat
- 25 Best TV Shows (2018) You Should Add to Your Watchlist
- E3 2018: what games to expect from Bethesda, Ubisoft, EA, Capcom, Square Enix and everyone else
- 2018 Techraptor Awards – Board Game of the Year
- Halloween 2018 Special: round up of very nice things
- Every 2018 San Diego Comic-Con panel you want to watch out for
- NASCAR Heat Preview
Darian Grubb named William Byron's crew chief for 2018 NASCAR Cup season have 307 words, post on www.usatoday.com at November 1, 2017. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.