Police in Ho Chi Minh City arrested a man on Tuesday after he gave himself up for allegedly killing an American tourist during a drug deal that went wrong.
The arrest comes two weeks after the news of the death of Stephen Marshall Pendeeton, 22, took expat forums in Vietnam by storm.
Trinh Quoc Hung in a photo provided by HCMC police.
Trinh Quoc Hung, the 20-year-old suspect, said Pendeeton and a foreign friend came to find him on Bui Vien Street on the night of June 21. They said the drugs he had sold them earlier were fake and demanded a refund.
Hung said he tried to explain, in broken English, that he was not the one selling them the drugs.
As the argument heated up, he grabbed an iron bar off the ground and allegedly stabbed the American in the back. The victim’s friend and some locals rushed him to hospital, but he died soon after.
Police said they are still clarifying the reason for the murder.
Bui Vien is part of the city's popular backpacker district, with bars, spas and clubs staying open until late at night. It draws up to 2,000 foreign visitors every day.
Ho Chi Minh City is one of the top tourist destinations in Vietnam, and welcomed more than five million foreign arrivals last year. But safety issues remain a concern for visitors.
- NCAA finals, American tourist, Trump Tax returns: Weekend's top news
- For family of California man detained in Vietnam, the summit fizzle was personal
- Wife of O.C. man detained in Vietnam invited by Rep. Katie Porter to State of the Union address
- ‘Miss Saigon’ star relives mother’s Vietnam drama
- Swept away by the women of ‘Miss Saigon’ at Playhouse Square
- Our Man in Havana: Face-to-Face with Fidel Castro
- At least two Americans killed in Kenya plane crash
- Dangerous selfies have killed 259 people
- What’s next for Rose VL, Portland’s Vietnamese soup destination?
- Anthony Chase: 'Miss Saigon' is overripe, luscious
- Most Rev. Dominic Luong, first Vietnamese-born U.S. bishop, celebrated as champion of refugees at standing-room-only funeral
- Vietnam Woman Pleads Guilty to Lesser Charge in Kim Killing
Vietnamese man detained for killing American tourist in Saigon have 349 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 4, 2017. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.