By Chino S. Leyco
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said yesterday that it is providing technical assistance to help improve and modernize solid waste management in Cebu City under public-private partnership (PPP) program.
In a statement, the Manila-based multilateral institution said the assistance, which will be through the Asia-Pacific Project Preparation Facility (AP3F), will fund a pre-feasibility study involving review of economic, legal, technical, social, and environmental aspects.
The bank said the study will also help city authorities prepare a strong project concept, with the private sector expected to design, build, finance, operate, and maintain the project.
“PPPs will play a critical role for urban areas in Asia and the Pacific to improve infrastructure delivery and quality of life for residents,” Ryuichi Kaga, Head of ADB’s Office of Public-Private Partnership said.
According to the ADB, the offer to assist the City of Cebu was introduced to the bank by City of Yokohama through the Yokohama Partnership of Resources and Technologies (Y-PORT).
ADB and City of Yokohama are also collaborating on a solid waste management project in Da Nang, Vietnam, and plan to work together on similar urban projects in the Asia and Pacific region.
The assistance comes under AP3F, a multi-donor trust fund managed by ADB to help developing Asia and the Pacific prepare, structure, and place bankable PPP projects in the market.
AP3F was announced in May, 2015 with approximately $73 million in initial funding, including $40 million from the Government of Japan, CA$20 million from Canada, and AU$10 million from Australia. ADB has also contributed $10 million to the fund.
ADB is dedicated to reducing poverty in Asia and the Pacific through inclusive economic growth, environmentally sustainable growth, and regional integration.
Established in 1966, ADB is celebrating 50 years of development partnership in the region. It is owned by 67 members — 48 from the region. In 2016, ADB assistance totaled $31.7 billion, including $14 billion in co-financing.
- Corporation draws HC ire as waste dumping goes unabated
- ADB helps strengthen water supply infrastructure in Philippines' capital
- Exploring new ways to manage floods
- Cleaner initiative: Firm seeks collaboration with Lagos on waste magt
- Shanxi company turns coal waste into big business
- Man City 5-0 Burnley LIVE REACTION: Foden, Mahrez and Silva on target as Clarets torn apart by rampant champions
- Arsenal 2 Man City 0 LIVE REACTION: Aubameyang double stuns Pep Guardiola to send Gunners into FA Cup final
- A double for Aubameyang as Arsenal stuns Manchester City in FA Cup semifinal
- Development threatens to dry up Mexico City’s floating market gardens
- Bournemouth – Leicester City preview: How to watch, start time, stream, odds
- Sonos Arc review: Solid soundbar for Dolby Atmos era
- Planner suggests ‘twin city’ model for Ho Chi Minh City
ADB assists Cebu City’s solid waste management modernization have 455 words, post on business.mb.com.ph at May 4, 2017. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.