HCM CITY – Doctors at HCM City’s FV Hospital on Tuesday used a free fibular flap to reconstruct the lower jaw of a 61-year-old man with a necrotic mandible.
Mandibular reconstruction with free fibular flap is an advanced technique that Nguyá» n Quáº£ng Äáº¡i, head of the hospital’s ear, nose and throat ward, said requires surgeons to have outstanding professional skills and cleverness to ensure an aesthetic outcome.
FV Hospital’s doctors performed a seven-hour microsurgery to remove the necrotic mandible and used a portion of a fibula from the patient’s leg to reconstruct a new mandible.
After the surgery, he would have bone implant for dental rehabilitation on native bone and fibula flap, Äáº¡i said.
The patient, from the city’s PhÃº Nhuáºn District, is expected to recover within eight weeks.
Äáº¡i said this surgery has been performed on many patients with mandibular defects before.
If mandibular defects are not treated by reconstruction with a fibular flap, patients have to live with disability and deformity forever, he said.
Health experts said performing the surgery in the country helps reduce the number of patients going abroad.
It is a difficult surgery in terms of ensuring good function and aesthetics, they said.
This surgery is also used for patients with jaw bone cancer, they added. -VNS
- HCM City doctors reconstruct woman’s face disfigured by bomb
- HCM City hospital carries out liver transplants
- HCM City hospital conducts first liver transplant on adult
- Avian flu leaves one dead, one hospitalised in HCM City
- Stabbed HCM City residents take HIV treatments
- Young man dies at HCM City Marathon 2019
- HCM City beauty salon doctor fined for surgery death
- HCM City welcome gate collapses on passer-by
- HCM City shooting kills one, leaves one injured