HCM CITY – Doctors at HCM City’s FV Hospital on Tuesday used a free fibular flap to reconstruct the lower jaw of a 61-year-old man with a necrotic mandible.
Mandibular reconstruction with free fibular flap is an advanced technique that Nguyá» n Quáº£ng Äáº¡i, head of the hospital’s ear, nose and throat ward, said requires surgeons to have outstanding professional skills and cleverness to ensure an aesthetic outcome.
FV Hospital’s doctors performed a seven-hour microsurgery to remove the necrotic mandible and used a portion of a fibula from the patient’s leg to reconstruct a new mandible.
After the surgery, he would have bone implant for dental rehabilitation on native bone and fibula flap, Äáº¡i said.
The patient, from the city’s PhÃº Nhuáºn District, is expected to recover within eight weeks.
Äáº¡i said this surgery has been performed on many patients with mandibular defects before.
If mandibular defects are not treated by reconstruction with a fibular flap, patients have to live with disability and deformity forever, he said.
Health experts said performing the surgery in the country helps reduce the number of patients going abroad.
It is a difficult surgery in terms of ensuring good function and aesthetics, they said.
This surgery is also used for patients with jaw bone cancer, they added. -VNS
- GOP health care plan would put city hospitals in 'tremendous danger,' lose billions for future state budgets, pols say
- Mayor de Blasio fears state will hurt city hospitals by withholding millions in federal money
- Naples City Dock reconstruction nears completion; visits to be allowed in March
- Firefighters train under former Traverse City hospital
- Washington governor fires head of state psychiatric hospital after man who tortured woman to death escapes facility
- New York City hospitals are some of the country’s best: health care guide
- Heart attack victim reunited in hospital with man who saved his life
- From hospital bed, man pleads not guilty in Falmouth police shooting
- Vet who fled Arkansas State Hospital detained; man accused of raping minor
- EXCLUSIVE: Bronx bus driver hospitalized after man punches him in the face and flees