HCM CITY – Doctors at HCM City’s FV Hospital on Tuesday used a free fibular flap to reconstruct the lower jaw of a 61-year-old man with a necrotic mandible.
Mandibular reconstruction with free fibular flap is an advanced technique that Nguyễn Quảng Đại, head of the hospital’s ear, nose and throat ward, said requires surgeons to have outstanding professional skills and cleverness to ensure an aesthetic outcome.
FV Hospital’s doctors performed a seven-hour microsurgery to remove the necrotic mandible and used a portion of a fibula from the patient’s leg to reconstruct a new mandible.
After the surgery, he would have bone implant for dental rehabilitation on native bone and fibula flap, Đại said.
The patient, from the city’s Phú Nhuận District, is expected to recover within eight weeks.
Đại said this surgery has been performed on many patients with mandibular defects before.
If mandibular defects are not treated by reconstruction with a fibular flap, patients have to live with disability and deformity forever, he said.
Health experts said performing the surgery in the country helps reduce the number of patients going abroad.
It is a difficult surgery in terms of ensuring good function and aesthetics, they said.
This surgery is also used for patients with jaw bone cancer, they added. -VNS
- Back to the future: the fake relics of the 'old' Chinese city of Datong
- The leper lady of St Giles': Incredible skeletal reconstructions reveal faces of disfigured woman and man with a missing jaw who were buried at Edinburgh's cathedral 900 years ago
- Penile Reconstruction Surgery Has High Success Rate and Outcomes
- Karachi vice: inside the city torn apart by killings, extortion and terrorism
- Man sets goal to donate blood 100 times
- ‘Rotting’ face of leper woman who died in Scotland 500 years ago is reconstructed by scientists
- 6 sanitation staffers attacked just for asking citizens to keep city clean
- Man saves baby, girl from pit bull attack
- Kabang the hero dog heals, heads home
- Cần Giờ’s mangrove forests a haven for stressed-out travellers
- Father struggles to support near-blind wife and ill son
- Sheena Bora Case: And then Sheena disappeared...
HCM City hospital reconstructs man’s jaw with fibula flap have 351 words, post on at February 15, 2017. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.