HCM CITY – Doctors at HCM City’s FV Hospital on Tuesday used a free fibular flap to reconstruct the lower jaw of a 61-year-old man with a necrotic mandible.
Mandibular reconstruction with free fibular flap is an advanced technique that Nguyễn Quảng Đại, head of the hospital’s ear, nose and throat ward, said requires surgeons to have outstanding professional skills and cleverness to ensure an aesthetic outcome.
FV Hospital’s doctors performed a seven-hour microsurgery to remove the necrotic mandible and used a portion of a fibula from the patient’s leg to reconstruct a new mandible.
After the surgery, he would have bone implant for dental rehabilitation on native bone and fibula flap, Đại said.
The patient, from the city’s Phú Nhuận District, is expected to recover within eight weeks.
Đại said this surgery has been performed on many patients with mandibular defects before.
If mandibular defects are not treated by reconstruction with a fibular flap, patients have to live with disability and deformity forever, he said.
Health experts said performing the surgery in the country helps reduce the number of patients going abroad.
It is a difficult surgery in terms of ensuring good function and aesthetics, they said.
This surgery is also used for patients with jaw bone cancer, they added. -VNS
- The shocking reason that this man's legs and hands were amputated: A dog's saliva
- Man’s nose bitten off by friend in ‘Silence of the Lambs’ attack
- Benedict Cumberbatch had a weird time shooting Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’ in New York City
- Jaws of Life called after two-vehicle car wreck in Longview
- GRAPHIC VIDEO: Bloodied Montana man takes to Facebook after he was mauled twice by grizzly bear
- A look at some of NYC’s most controversial monuments as city weighs whether to remove iconic statues
- AA Highway crash kills 2, sends 2 others to area hospitals
- Colorado parents suing man they say got their daughter addicted to heroin
- Atlanta man beaten by Walmart security guard over false accusation he stole a tomato, lawsuit says
- EXCLUSIVE: Cops toss a homeless man's stuff — and his crutches
- Out-of-control Utah man attacks Long Island commuter in Times Square
- Son of Bronx man killed in hit-and-run vows to find the callous driver if cops can’t
HCM City hospital reconstructs man’s jaw with fibula flap have 371 words, post on at February 15, 2017. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.