by David Colon in News on Feb 3, 2017 11:11 am Beyond their shocking loss in the 2016 president election, Democrats in all 50 states are faced with the fact that their local parties are doing a terrible job holding on to state legislatures. Democrats have total control of just five state legislative bodies and seventeen governors’ mansions, which means scant opportunities to develop and recruit rising young stars and get liberal laws passed across the country. New York Democrats should be resting easy, given that they control the governor’s mansion and the state Assembly, and hold a numerical majority in the state Senate. Except for the pesky fact that the six-year-old breakaway Independent Democratic Conference, which now has eight members, is aligned with Senate Republicans, artificially increasing GOP power in the chamber. What is the Independent Democratic Conference though, and what do its members want? The history of the Democrats in the state Senate has been fraught for two consecutive governors. In 2009, during the regrettable David Paterson era, Democrats in the Senate held a majority in the chamber. However, that collapsed when Senators Pedro Espada, Jr. (who was eventually convicted of embezzling from his own health nonprofit) and… Read full this story
- Trump Adviser Claims Impeachment Inquiry Is 'Attempted Coup d'Etat,' Compares Democrats to Soviet Secret Police
- Democrats, Republicans spar in opening of public Trump impeachment hearings
- Democrats, Republicans to vie for impeachment narrative on TV
- Nolte: Democrats Caught Using Secret Focus Groups to Choose Trump’s Impeachment Crime
- The history lesson 2020 Democrats can't afford to ignore
- Joe Biden May Be the Last Hurrah for Moderate Democrats
- Newsom’s credibility takes hit: Democrats in swing districts could suffer
- Messaging or Investigating? How Should House Democrats Use Their Very Limited Power?
- Democratic Challenger Katie Porter Defeats Mimi Walters In OC’s 45th District
- Republicans delay healthcare vote
Are NY's Breakaway Democrats Republican Tools Or Secret Progressive Heroes? have 316 words, post on gothamist.com at February 3, 2017. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.