The Nationals are already planning for life without Bryce Harper, according to a USA Today report, and the Yankees figure to be in play for the star outfielder. But it will apparently come at an exorbitant price. An anonymous high-ranking team executive reportedly told the paper that the 24-year-old, who becomes a free agent after 2018, is requesting a record contract that will pay him at least $400 million over at least 10 seasons. Harper made $5 million last season and is eligible for arbitration in 2017, but his agent, Scott Boras, told USA Today that no talks about the future have taken place with Washington. “I have had no long-term discussions with the Nationals on Bryce,” Boras said, according to the report. “No terms, no offers discussed. Only arbitration-year discussions.” The Nationals, who are currently discussing a deal for All-Star outfielder Andrew McCutchen with the Pirates, did not comment on the report. The 2015 NL MVP seems to fit the mold for the Yankees down the road, as the team’s youth movement and core of promising prospects develop. As the Bombers continue to trim payroll, their free agent options in 2019 include Orioles third baseman Manny Machado, as well… Read full this story
- Real Madrid hopes to smash the world transfer fee record with a $400 million deal for Neymar -- here's why it should wait a year
- Apax Partners nears $400 million deal for Fractal
- What they're saying: How will Nats fans treat Bryce Harper in his return to Washington?
- Paul Hagen: Nationals fans' bark is worse than their bite as Bryce Harper returns
- Live free agency updates: The Manny Machado-Bryce Harper waiting game continues for Phillies
- What they're saying: Bryce Harper got paid, and the Phillies still have money to spend
- Why is Bryce Harper still so hesitant to sign with the Phillies?
- Bryce Harper's 13-year, $330 million deal is actually a bargain for the Phillies
- Bryce Harper, Phillies are 'rounding third' and closing in on a deal
- The Phillies won the Bryce Harper deal and here's why
Bryce Harper's request for record $400 million deal too much for Nationals: report have 345 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at December 5, 2016. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.