Storm sweeps through central Vietnam
By Hien Nguyen – The Saigon Times Daily
HCMC – At least ten people were killed, 15 others missing and thousands of fishing boats sunken as a tropical storm swept through central Vietnam yesterday.
The national weather center said yesterday that Tropical Storm Mekkhala made landfall in the central provinces from Nghe An to Quang Binh early yesterday with packing winds of 75 to 102 km per an hour, causing torrential rains.
Meanwhile, thousands of fishing vessel from the provinces was sunken under deep water and some of which remained missing.
In Ha Tinh Province, the storm claimed one life toll and left seven others missing. Yesterday, Ha Tinh evacuated 1,500 people to safe areas.
In Nghe An Province, strong winds uprooted many trees and caused power outage in Vinh City for eight hours. Around 54,000 hectares of crops were destroyed there.
Thanh Hoa Province had 50,000 hectares of rice damaged. A fishing vessel with 16 people onboard was reported missing until last night.
The national weather center said yesterday that the storm would weaken into a tropical low today. However, the central coast provinces should stay on alert for more heavy rains and floods.
It will continue raining today from Thanh Hoa to Ha Tinh provinces, causing river water levels swelling rapidly.
The forecaster said another storm had been spotted in the Pacific Ocean and was forecast to move toward Vietnam.
Storm Higos is around southern Luzon Island in the Philippines.
- Five more coronavirus infections confirmed in central Vietnam
- Central Vietnam at high risk of drought: official
- Drug mule kills border officer in central Vietnam
- Three new Covid-19 infections detected in central Vietnam
- Massive Dust Storm Sweeps Through Arizona
- Vietnam’s volcanic island corks tourism as coronavirus threatens to erupt
- Trade, Security Issues to Dominate Vietnam’s ASEAN Tenure
- Passengers, crew on UK-Vietnam flight quarantined on Covid-19 suspicions
- Central region at high risk of drought: official
- Da Nang saleswoman is Vietnam's 35th coronavirus patient
- Da Nang saleswoman is Vietnam's 35th novel coronavirus patient
- Covid-19 epidemic leaves Vietnam's blood bank run dry
Storm sweeps through central Vietnam have 327 words, post on at October 25, 2016. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.