BẮC KẠN – Heavy rainfall and floods over the last few days have damaged several national and provincial routes in the northern province of Bắc Kạn. Reconstruction work is progressing slowly.
Landslides were reported at several places on the National Route 3B stretch that runs from the province’s Ngọc Phái Commune to Tuyên Quang Province.
The Kéo Mác and Ba Bồ passes are the most damaged, with a landslide volume of up to tens of thousands of cubic metres of soil and rocks
Though the stretch was built earlier this year and has not been opened for use, soil and rocks are now covering its surface, making it impossible for vehicles to pass through.
The management unit of the route has mobilised people and machines to clear the scene. However, landslides can reoccur due to the stretch’s weak soil foundation.
The stretch cost VNĐ400 billion (US$17.9 million) to be built.
Nông Văn Chiến, deputy director of Hồng Hà Construction Joint Stock Company, said floods the last time had caused landslides at more than 10 points on a route that the company managed, with the total rock amount at some 10,000 cubic metres.
With the responsibilities of managing, repairing and maintaining the provincial routes, the company’s equipment and human resources are always prepared to deal with the aftermath of landslides and reconstruct the routes, he said.
However, the company is struggling with a tight budget, Chiến said. The province still owes the company reconstruction fee of VNĐ22 billion ($990) over the last three years, he said.
Landslides also occurred at several stretches of provincial route 258, National Route 3B and National Route 279. At some places, half of a hill collapsed and covered the route’s surface, leaving no way for vehicles to pass through.
Đào Kiên Cường, deputy director of the province’s transport department, said the mountainous terrain in the province made it easy for landslides and rockslides to take place during the rainy season.
Reconstruction work faces several obstacles due to the limited annual financial support from the State, he said. – VNS
- South Dakota townships face financial woes after 2019 floods
- Wall Street recovers from Monday rout on tech, financial support
- CORRECTED-US STOCKS-Wall Street recovers from Monday rout on tech, financial support
- Apprenticeship funding: a recipe for financial stability
- Britain's banks ordered to explain overdraft rates or face punishment
- UPDATE 3-Britain's banks ordered to explain overdraft rates or face punishment
- Restructuring, one route to success for companies: experts
- Kuwait summit promises $30 billion in Iraq reconstruction aid
- U.S. could face difficulties sanctioning Danske over money-laundering: report
- Co-op's difficulties should inspire us to nurture banking's undergrowth
- How AMP's treatment of fee-for-no-service victims mocks attempts to improve financial services industry
- 7 financial planning myths you shouldn't believe
Route reconstruction faces financial difficulties have 461 words, post on at October 19, 2016. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.